Thread: Name Plate

Name Plate

Here is a name plate design we have been playing around with. There are three layers, two 1/8 acrylic pieces with a 1/8" piece with letters removed and other letters placed in. a third piece is used as a base plate.
    We have made a bunch for school sectaries and administrators; these were clear with black letters. I had some blue mirror and used some to make one for myself.

The file was created using Adobe Illustrator CS4, and saved as a DXF for all you CoralDRAW folks. If you would like an Illustrator file, let me know, will try to post one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

Name Plate

I think that's a cool looking piece. My first question is -- with 4 pieces to cut (2 outside and a clear & a color for the letters) plus a base, how cost effective is it? Would seem like a lot of work. Could you paint fill the middle one instead of cutting out the letters?

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Very nice work and a good plan.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Richard View Post
    Here is a name plate design we have been playing around with. There are three layers, two 1/8 acrylic pieces with a 1/8" piece with letters removed and other letters placed in.
    Is this an inlay? Not sure from looking at the photo..
    Looks good, in any case

The way I see it, a sheet (4’x8’) of acrylic is $110.00 or about $3.50 a square foot, each plate takes about 1 square foot of clear and ¼ that amount of the black costing about $4.00 in materials. Labor is free, high school students are begging get out of study-hall and make stuff. Equipment was provided by district.
    Students are selling these for $20.00 to staff & administrators bringing us about $16.00.
    Not sure what you folks in industry are getting, but we are happy with that return!
    Last edited by Josh Richard; 12-09-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo!
    Josh Richard

The middle piece of acrylic is cut all the way through creating a cavity. The same letters are cut from a different color and placed in the cavity. The trick is not losing the small pieces in the middle of the letters!
    Josh Richard

That's a nice design and great practice for students to develop their skills - well done, teach! It's nice to see that the class is self-sustaining moneywise, too, so the powers-that-be won't complain.

I wish we had a class like that when I was in HS...of course, when I was in HS we didn't have calculators yet...

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    That's a nice design and great practice for students to develop their skills - well done, teach! It's nice to see that the class is self-sustaining moneywise, too, so the powers-that-be won't complain.

I wish we had a class like that when I was in HS...of course, when I was in HS we didn't have calculators yet...

dee
    Calculators, I think those will be next...
    http://woodgears.ca/marbleadd/index.html
    Josh Richard

Whilst looking at Josh's post I saw this one which is very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngb4S...eature=related

it's by the same guy but way cooler
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 12-09-2010 at 6:08 PM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

A related question to desk name plates. I was thinking of offering these, but blank so people could use them as craft projects.

The problem is attaching the name part to the base. Using 3mm acrylic, I would go and cut a rectangle that's 2.7mm so it would be a slight snug fit so no gluing would have to be involved.

Here's the problem. The thickness of sheets will vary so the measurements for one sheet may not work on another. Any suggestions on how to attach the name part to the base so I wouldn't have to go making a test run on each sheet for thickness without having to resort to gluing?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.