Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chess pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    But, for me, the elegant Staunton pieces are the only way to go.
    I agree completely and you described the Staunton pieces perfectly...elegant.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

The following pic might be the original upon which the more modern reproduction is based: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...okStaunton.jpg

I've tried turning a couple of these and it's absolutely shocking the difference that 1/64th of an inch makes when you're talking a finely detailed piece that is no more than 2 1/2" tall (I'm specifically thinking pawns here). Easily the most technically difficult turning I've tried - and it's absolutely terrific practice.

"...The following pic might be the original..."

That is the original "Cook pattern" set produced by John Jaques and endorsed by Harold Staunton, at the time, the self proclaimed "chess champion of the world".
    David DeCristoforo

I turned a set in high school. Many years ago. I did it specifically to sell in order to take my date to the prom. Walnut and poplar. I got into a rythym with the pawns. The rook I carved on top. The knight I turned the base, then band sawed the horse profile on top. Three coats of poly. The only thing I did not do (ran out of time) was recess the bases and add weight. It's easy to do things out of your range when you don't know any better. Lol
    Jay Pugsley

Pugsley's Wood World

"Never let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do."

Early this year I got the urge to make a set and ended up making four sets. I kept things simple and they are scaled to 1-7/8 board. Definitely not regulation, but easy to make and my wife even plays now.

I cut all the pieces to length using a story board/chop saw fence, all were turned using a screw chuck made with a self tapping bolt as the screw and no tailstock support. The only measuring was using a caliper for the different base diameters, everything else by eye. The knights are scroll sawed out, slightly carved, and mounted on a turned base. Shellac while spinning, then wax. Screw chuck holes were later filled with shot and glue, then covered with leather. Board is birch and mahogany. Pieces are koa and box elder.

My advice is to start simple to get a process down, then go for the finely carved set if you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are 2 Mike Darlow books on chessmen published by Fox Chapel Publishing and available from Amazon. Do not make the same mistake I did and order both, I expected that there would be some overlap in the books but that was not the case. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME BOOK, PAGE FOR PAGE, PHOTO FOR PHOTO, PERIOD FOR PERIOD. THE ONLY DIFFERENCES ARE DIFFERENT TITLES AND COVERS. I was very disappointed with Fox Chapel, I had always thought they were a fairly reputable company but this scam changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Early this year I got the urge to make a set and ended up making four sets. I kept things simple and they are scaled to 1-7/8 board. Definitely not regulation, but easy to make and my wife even plays now.

I cut all the pieces to length using a story board/chop saw fence, all were turned using a screw chuck made with a self tapping bolt as the screw and no tailstock support. The only measuring was using a caliper for the different base diameters, everything else by eye. The knights are scroll sawed out, slightly carved, and mounted on a turned base. Shellac while spinning, then wax. Screw chuck holes were later filled with shot and glue, then covered with leather. Board is birch and mahogany. Pieces are koa and box elder.

My advice is to start simple to get a process down, then go for the finely carved set if you want.
    That is a nice looking set. I notice that the pawns are much simpler than a "standard" pawn. They often have a wider flair on the base, followed by a small protruding ring, and a ball on top. Your design is definitely much easier to reproduce.

If I tried to make a set, I would probably have to start with at least 3X as much wood to account for all the mismatched pieces.

Steve

Mike Peace is currently turning a set on Youtube. Each episode is a single piece and I believe that he has pawns, rooks and knights complete so far. He started by making the board in which each of the black squares is a different (small) wood burned pattern. I'm enjoying following along with his project.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conklin View Post
    Mike Peace is currently turning a set on Youtube. Each episode is a single piece and I believe that he has pawns, rooks and knights complete so far. He started by making the board in which each of the black squares is a different (small) wood burned pattern. I'm enjoying following along with his project.

Here is the picture of my completed set.chess set.jpg

This is the link to the first episode on Pawns that John mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz2V5wXhoyE
    Last edited by Mike Peace; 03-14-2016 at 7:59 PM.
    God is great and life is good!

I'm a traditionalist but I like this modern design, think a whiter wood like holly might make a little stronger show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I'm a traditionalist but I like this modern design, think a whiter wood like holly might make a little stronger show.
    Maybe I will bleach the pieces with the next set
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    Anybody doing Chess peices?
    I didn't get to read the thread but I have a good book by Mike Darlow on making chess pieces.
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-C.../dp/1565233735

I have another book with chess pieces but I'd have to look for the name next time I go to the shop.

I haven't turned any but they don't look hard, maybe a bit of carving on the knight, rook, bishop, and royalty depending on the style. I have carved chess pieces from scratch - I'd much rather turn them!

JKJ

I have done three sets. I like the challenge they present.
    C&C WELCOME