Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess pieces?

Chess pieces?

Anybody doing Chess peices?

I haven't done any, but there's a guy somewhat local to me that does quite a few. His name is Ken Belanus, and he's got a website kbspinswood or something like that. I think the site has photos of a lot of the chess sets that he's done.

I've sure thought about it enough times. And we had a carver demonstrate his chess set design and procedure for our club recently.

The hardest piece is the knight. If you can figure that one out, you've got it whipped.

I bought Mike Darlow's book "Woodturning Techiques" specifically because he shows how to turn rived rings for this piece. Mike also has another book specifically about making chess sets.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I did some at my first turning class and have occassionall done one or two for practice at spindle turning since. It's harder than you might think, especially to make multiples that actually resemble each other. The small scale is also a challenge.

It is a lot harder than you may think. A while ago, I bought templates for a duplicator from CSUSA, made negative some paper templates. It is really hard to keep the beads and everything lined up with each other. I stopped after making the rough outs of the king and queen. Those are the "easiest" to turn. Physically the biggest and tallest. The knights are a problem, didn't even attempt that. If you have a duplicator rig, it should be no problem. I keep the rough outs on my desk at work as a reminder to not attempt it again. But then, I've gotten better as I've turned more. I may attempt it again someday.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    Anybody doing Chess peices?
    I've done one set...Black Walnut and Spalted Ash. Everything except the pawns turned out well but I didn't do a very good job of duplicating the pawns. They vary a bit in size and detail. I intend to turn another set one day soon and hopefully it will turn out better. IK also intend to increase the size about 30% over the first set.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I made a set many years ago in high school shop.
    Recently I made some replacement pieces for a collector. It is pretty easy to make a chess piece but not so easy to make matching pieces. A whole set becomes production work. The knights take more time but don't have to really difficult (depends on the design).

Well I did a bit of searching around and with David Kellers post I was able to find the chess maker
    http://kbspinswood.wordpress.com/chess/

There was an episode of the Woodturning Workshop with Tim Yoder on PBS where he covered making chess pieces.

Chess pieces are easy. But really fine chess pieces are a whole 'nother story. Compare the pieces shown in Gary's link with these and you will see what I mean.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/webpi...-gc-prof-f.jpg

As mentioned, the carving of the knight can make or break a set.
    David DeCristoforo

I've considered turning some, but a couple things dissuaded me:

repeatability: trying to turn nearly identical pieces is quite difficult. Doing the knight would be especially daunting.

current offerings: you can buy some nice sets for ~$100 and some very nice sets for $300.

Unless you are trying to do something unusual or unique or want to use some super exotics like European boxwood and African blackwood I wouldn't think it would be worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Chess pieces are easy. But really fine chess pieces are a whole 'nother story. Compare the pieces shown in Gary's link with these and you will see what I mean.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/webpi...-gc-prof-f.jpg

As mentioned, the carving of the knight can make or break a set.
    I'm not sure which are supposed to be the "really fine" pieces but I like the staunton style best. To me, that is the classic chess set.

I'm not too crazy about the detail on that knight but the other pieces look great.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

On repeatability

If I were to make a chess set... and I probably will one day, then I'd start by drawing the pieces out with dimensions and make a story board.

It sounds intimidating when you think of having to make all those pieces all the same, but if you break it down into steps it's not really so bad.

The only piece that you really need to have down pat are the pawns. The knights are the hardest piece to do, so you'll have to come up with some plan for them, but aside from that, your king and queen are singles, and the opposing sides can be a little different with no noticeable difference since they are clear across the board.... Same thing with the rook and the bishop. They need not be exactly the same since they are separated by several other pieces.

As I said the only piece you'll need to repeat consistently are the pawns, because they're all lined up like ballusters... Once you've drawn your story board, you'll want to make sizing cuts with a parting tool on the major and minor diameters at specified points from one end. Then you just connect the points with appropriate beads or coves. If you pick a simple enough pattern that need not be too onerous either... Take a look at a couple of links posted above, and you see some pretty simple patterns that any one of you could repeat on that small scale.

And once you've made about five of them, you begin to get in the groove because you've made all those cuts before and it starts to become polished. Practice the same routine and soon repeating those cuts ain't all that hard...

Challenge yourself!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

"...which are supposed to be the "really fine" pieces..."

I was referring to the Staunton pieces my link pointed to. Perhaps "really fine" was not the best choice of wording. The pieces Gary linked to are very nicely turned. But, for me, the elegant Staunton pieces are the only way to go. At least for a set that will be played. There are many ornate sets, both old and new, that are very well made. But they can be distracting in actual play. The Staunton pieces were designed to clearly identify each piece with a minimum of ornamentation. IMMHO, the Staunton design is one of the best examples of "form follows function" design ever produced. And the Jaques sets were (and still are) the finest Staunton sets ever made. House of Staunton has continued the tradition.
    David DeCristoforo

Link to youtube video on making chess pieces and link to Mike Darlows book on turning chess pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQzM0tMXoTg

http://www.amazon.com/Turned-Chessme...1849604&sr=1-4
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.