Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Math Project

I'd probably just chuck a small router bit in my drill press, setup a straight edge with a couple of clamps, and make the lines like that. That's usually my goto technique with I have to route small, oblique groves in something.

Well, ended up using the Eurekazone track with my Makita saw which was the perfect solution. I could clamp the piece from the bottom along the straight edge and move from line to line while my son slid the saw back and forth. It came out better than we expected!

Blog Entries
    What's wrong with the results you're getting? Looks like exactly what I would expect...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    What's wrong with the results you're getting? Looks like exactly what I would expect...
    I had to go back and make sure I said what I thought I said---I did say it came out better than expected. We were very happy with the results.

Blog Entries
    Kevin,

My reply was to your earlier post with the computer graphic version... I didn't see page 2 until after I hit submit, but I was too lazy to go back and edit last night.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Teacher was happy with the results as well, giving him a grade of 110%!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I appreciate your idea to use woodworking skills and tools to create something like this, but I just don't think you will be able to get the detail using a router bit. Now if you had a laser system you could do it but that would be cheating IMO. I think you should stick to the string approach and focus on a very creative pattern.
    Sure you could. Purchase 1/8" or 1/16" end mills on ebay. I like the layered aproach. You get the relief and contrast automatically. You may need to purchase a collet adapter from Lee Valley so you can use 1/8" shank bits. I even use 1/32" end mills! By the way, I was thinking of a smallish router in this case (something your child can safely use)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    You should be able to route a slot - say 1/8" wide by 1/4" deep or more - and then cut a 1/8" wide strip that sits into the groove. Glue it in place and then plane it flush with the surface. Route the next line (as the lines cross each other) and repeat. The strips should be easy enough to bend to fit into the grooves.
    I'd say something similar except ... use walnut and brass. Polished brass and walnut has a beauty that is hard to beat.

Use a table saw (with a carbide blade) and the slicing through the brass should be no problem.

The "math" part comes in when setting the miter angle for each cut (something YOU should leave to the student even if you make the cuts). Document the process with pics of the student setting up the miter (and/or making the cuts).

Sand to 600+ grit and perhaps a spray of poly. The brass and walnut will be stunning.

One cheap source of brass can be "door kicker" plates ...
    Last edited by Rob Currey; 02-17-2011 at 4:12 PM. Reason: DOH, old post