Thread: I want to buy Scanner

I want to buy Scanner

Hi to all :

I want to buy a camera Scanner with high quality and save an image to work on the ArtCam program . Work without any additions or cleaning .I want advice or a particular type to buy

Blog Entries
    NextEngine and ZCorp are two of the larger companies that sell 3D scanners... there are more.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Or you could roll your own... with a webcam, a laser level, three paper clips, chewing gum, etc. Okay, I was kidding about the paper clips and the chewing gum, but if you are interesting as much in learning as doing, there are some good web sites based on software done by students in Germany. Google "DIY 3D scanner", and start reading.

Angie

Hi Hosni,
    I am using David Laser scanner and recently added expensive CCD Mono and Green line laser... I did a scan of a small Bead so that i can carve it in wood to install the Bead in it...

The workflow is David Laser Scanner---> Artcam--->Toolpath and simulation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan :
    Thank you my friend i see this site i think it is effective

Amr Hosni

Angie

Nice joke , I saw her, but I think that this is not very high quality. This is enough to understand the basics and then updat .
    Thank you for your cooperation

Khalid

As you know, friend, we're working on classic style and there are many details in the pattern .And the required work with it a large size.
    thx to post
    Amr Hosni

ebay.com/Optimet-Conoprobe-3D-Laser-Scanner-Copymate-software-/290510341332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3c4 04d4
    here is one listed on ebay...
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-14-2010 at 9:43 AM.

gene this is a probe, not quite what we need!!

Blog Entries
    Been away for a while, but this thread caught my eye. I am not trying to be mean so please do not take this wrong.
    You want to buy a scanner?
    Okay, how much do you want to spend?
    Are the parts you are going to scan able to fit on a CNC Machine that is equipped with a scanner?
    Are these parts a dark color like walnut or ebony? Laser scanners hate dark colors.
    Are you looking to reproduce 1 piece or are you going to make production runs from a single scanned piece?
    Do you have a complete understanding of what you want to do, of what the scanner can do and what the computers and the machines that handle the files can do?
    Are you currently working in millimeters or inches? Polhemus output is in millimeters and the files will have to be scaled to inches. Easily done, but it is a factor.
    Do you have a way of applying vectors to the scanned output siles (usually .stl) so that you can speed carving time by using various bits to CARVE the piece rather than ball mill it with an 1/8 BM for 2 hours?
    Does you CNC machine have more than 1 spindle and can it mirror an axis so you can make a left part or a right part depending on your starting model?

These questions just scratch the surface.

If you go down this road, it is quite profitable, however, it is only as good as your best person.

Feel free to email me with questions. I will answer them as I can.

If you are serious, I can turn you on to a laser. The Polhemus FastScan is one option. NextEngine is another. Each has its limits.
    You may want to look into a carving machine. You might find faster results and less of an investment in money and time.

www.terrco.com/woodcarvers/mastercarver.php
    Not sure if this link is allowed, but since I do not work for or get any compensation from Terrco I figure it is okay. If not please disable it if it is not allowed.

Good luck on this endeavor and if I can help you I will.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 12-18-2010 at 8:00 PM.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.