Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaker Style Side Table Project Started

Very nice work Jim. Solid walnut from your own trees.....Beyond the craftsmanship, the project has another layer of special meaning. Keep us updated til the final pics on this project.....I want to see finished walnut in all it's glory. Still my all-time favorite wood.

But.......(don't you love that word?) leaving the drawer off of the project means you won't have a place to put the remote in your new home theater room. Just throwing that out.....is it too late to retrofit? I like drawers on end tables for that very reason...sounds trite until you search through the house twice a week to find your step/time saver .

By the way, I really like the Thos. Moser look.....can it be described as Danish Shaker post-modern? Any other references besides the Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture that you might recommend? If it's available, I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.

AG

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Grammon
    But.......(don't you love that word?) leaving the drawer off of the project means you won't have a place to put the remote in your new home theater room.
    The remote sits in a charging cradle...it's a Phillips Pronto TSU3000. No need for a drawer for that! The four remotes that came with all the equipment will just go in the closet under the stairs...

By the way, I really like the Thos. Moser look.....can it be described as Danish Shaker post-modern? Any other references besides the Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture that you might recommend? If it's available, I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.
    You might also check out, Thos Moser Artistry in Wood (ISBN 0-8118-3611-8)--not an inexpensive book, but a good read. Perhaps you can find it at the library first before buying to be sure you want to add it to your own collection. It is a good read with great photos and a nice foreward by Andy Rooney, who just happens to be a very serious hobbiest woodworker like many of us.

Arnie, the finish will be the same as this clock...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-03-2005 at 8:55 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Absolutely splendiferous! I really like the design. With your permission I would like to attempt some copies for my son and DIL. Very nice Jim!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Absolutely splendiferous!
    Awefully big word for a Monday morning!!

I really like the design. With your permission I would like to attempt some copies for my son and DIL.
    You don't need my permission...it's Thos Moser's design. Get the book. Make the table!

Update - 06 January 2005

Last night I got a coat of T&T oil (polymerized linseed oil) on the table and brought it inside tonight to let it warm up again so I can do the shellac tomorrow night. Here's what it looks like so far...the walnut is outstanding. I'm really pleased.
    --

Excellant work Jim!! I hope LOML lets me build more furniture for around the house.

Well, I should hope you'd be pleased with that! Cost you some blood (literally), sweat and maybe some tears. OK, you probably sucked it in, so no tears. Does look great, though! I love it when Walnut gets that first coat of oil on it. Everything just kind of jumps out at 'ya. Nice job, Jim. Hope your finger is healing fast, as well!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

"Finished"...except for wax

The two pictures below are last for this thread. I applied the shellac tonight and will rub in some wax tomorrow with a white pad to "finish" the finish by knocking off any slight nibs and making it "glow". I will post other pictures of the room once the new sofa is in and other furniture and electronics are installed.

Please take a note of the top of this table. One of the things I try to do is to be very careful with grain matching when making panels and this was no exception. There are two joints in that top and only the one toward the back (wall) is barely perceptible without careful inspection. This is a process that starts when you select your material...it's got to be compatible when there are joints involved. The leg stock was cut in such a way that at least the two front legs had grain line diagonally across the section to minimize any face grain on the surfaces and the rears are similar, although not quite as "perfect" in that respect. All of these things enhance the look of the project. In an ideal world, the aprons come from a single board, too. These are no exception, although there was a slight break in the continuity due to a big, fat knot in the middle of the board that had to go away. No problem...they are short aprons and will be hidden partially by other furniture.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-07-2005 at 7:59 PM.
    --