Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Ornament

My First Ornament

This is the first ornament I've done. It didn't look so symmetric while on the lathe or pointy in the middle. It is walnut and holly with a CA finish. As I'm a new turner and have never done finials or things of the like before, I am very happy with #1. There were certainly some challenges I had to work through with turning and assembly and the next one should be "easier". Candid criticism would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have yet to turn my first ornament and can only hope it turns out half as nice as yours when I do.

Great job and a wonderful finish!
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 12-05-2010 at 8:41 PM.

It's tiny! I think you did well for a first effort. The second photo makes it look like the top and bottom are not perfectly aligned, but that won't make any difference when it hanging on the tree. About the only thing I would suggest would be to strive for a more consistent curve on the body of the piece... Always easier to say than to do!

Nice job Nate.

First ornament, first finial, first multi piece turning - I would say you did a fine job! Little work on the sphere, and crisper detail on the finial would take it up a notch, but still very nice.

6. Like 'em!

N-I-C-E! Pretty good for a first!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You did well. Small and but hopefully your first of many.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Making turnings that size is really going to make the wood stash last!
    Nice work on that first ornament Nate.

Mighty nice, especially for the first...Bill...

Really, really nice for your first one. My first ornament had a pendant as big around as my thumb!

Don't really need to tell you the common sence stuff, but work on the "bulb" shape. Perfectly round is a skill and takes a lot of practice. You can make flattened bulbs and it takes the worry away from the sphere shape. One thing that I do is to stop once in a while and either place my hand beneath the turning or to place a piece of paper to show a solid color contrast. That way I can study my curves and see if any little touch ups are needed.

Very nice job on this one. Dont ever give it away or sell it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nate,

Very nice first ornament. Some have mentioned the roundness of the globe, and perhaps an elongation of the bulb part of the finial might work. I think you did a good job on the transition of the finials to the globe. Keep this first one nearby, I am sure you will notice improvement with more under your belt.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I saw your post last night, Nate and thought how nice it looked, especially for your first attempt. As I keep telling myself, practice makes better! That thought was reinforced this afternoon when I was in a high end craft store and saw a display where none of the ornaments were nicer. Good job. I'm sure it will look great hanging on your tree!

That is a nice one. I think that is the next thing up on my lathe to try.

Very nice Nate. Hope my first (someday) comes out that well!

Cute little devil!

Nate, Since it is your first ornament and you are a new turner, you are on your way. With every new piece you turn and every practice bonker you turn for the pleasure of seeing the shapes change before your eyes, your skills will improve. The diminutive size of this one reminds me that I had planned to turn some little ones this year. I worked most of the day on ornaments and will post a couple tomorrow.

Keep on spinning wood!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown