Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneway wheel balancing system

Well said!

Well said Ryan!

I have preached this many times in previous threads. I would like to add that the side to side wobble can be corrected by:
    1) While the grinder is running, stabilize a pencil using the tool rest a move it into the inside and outside of the of each wheel near the edge. Don't press it into the wheel. what you want to do is to make a tick mark at the apex of the wobble on both side of each wheel.
    2) Stop the grinder and inspect the results. You'll usually see that the marks on either side of each wheel are 180 degrees from each other.
    3) Unplug the grinder and remove the outer guards.
    4) Loosen the nut and without moving the position of the wheel on the axle move the outer cup washer away from the wheel and place a stack of about six 3/4" paper sitcky dots between the edge of the cup washer and the side othe wheel in the radius line where the mark on the outside of the wheel was made.
    5) Snug the nut.
    6) Rotate the wheel 180 degrees without changing its position on the axle.
    7) Loosen the nut and place a stack of sticky dots between the cup washer and the inside of the wheel.
    8) Tighten the nut.
    9) Rotate the wheel by hand an observe the results. Add or remove some of the sticky dots as necessary.

If you are dilligent you should be able to eliminate most or all of the wobble both wheels in about 20 to 30 minutes of effort.

Be sure to then true the concentricity of the wheels using a truing device.

Don Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    1) Truing tools (like the Geiger tool or the Wolverine truing tool) correct the radial concentricity of the wheel ... which is different than what the simple dressing tools do. You need a truing tool to make your wheels really run smoothly.

2) If your wheels have sideways wobble, you need to find a better way to mount the wheels square to the shaft. Your problem could be from the flange washers, the wheel bushings, etc. There are a variety of ways to address these issues, but you need to get the wheels running true.

3) Balancers (like the Oneway kit) correct for balance problems due to things like uneven density in the wheels. You normally don't need balancing if you have used a good wheel truing tool. The balancer can somewhat correct the balance of a wheel that has not been trued -- but that only makes it spin smoother. The surface is still not smooth, and the tool will bounce on the wheel. Note that the Oneway kit also serves as a really good way to mount wheels square on the shafts if your grinder has issues in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    Well said Ryan!

I have preached this many times in previous threads. I would like to add that the side to side wobble can be corrected by:
    1) While the grinder is running, stabilize a pencil using the tool rest a move it into the inside and outside of the of each wheel near the edge. Don't press it into the wheel. what you want to do is to make a tick mark at the apex of the wobble on both side of each wheel.
    2) Stop the grinder and inspect the results. You'll usually see that the marks on either side of each wheel are 180 degrees from each other.
    3) Unplug the grinder and remove the outer guards.
    4) Loosen the nut and without moving the position of the wheel on the axle move the outer cup washer away from the wheel and place a stack of about six 3/4" paper sitcky dots between the edge of the cup washer and the side othe wheel in the radius line where the mark on the outside of the wheel was made.
    5) Snug the nut.
    6) Rotate the wheel 180 degrees without changing its position on the axle.
    7) Loosen the nut and place a stack of sticky dots between the cup washer and the inside of the wheel.
    8) Tighten the nut.
    9) Rotate the wheel by hand an observe the results. Add or remove some of the sticky dots as necessary.

If you are dilligent you should be able to eliminate most or all of the wobble both wheels in about 20 to 30 minutes of effort.

Be sure to then true the concentricity of the wheels using a truing device.

Don Geiger

This truing device being talked about what is it and where can I see it and where can i purchase it if so desired??? How does it work??? Thanks
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    This truing device being talked about what is it and where can I see it and where can i purchase it if so desired??? How does it work??? Thanks
    This is Don's tool:

http://www.geigerssolutions.com/trudress.html