Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stinger II Dust Collection

Stinger II Dust Collection

It took me awhile but I finally got my dust collection hookup like I want it. I have been tuning a bit to get the hose length right and adjusting the pipe placement from the ceiling. I purchased the black rotating ball at WoodCraft recently, it seems to be just the ticket since it allows the hose to swivel and keeps it from twisting. The lower hose fitting is new as well, it provides a better transition than the previous fitting I was using. I also moved the valve to the supply side of the pipe to save some ceiling space.

At some point in time I hope to redesign the dust foot so I can eliminate the 2.5" hose altogether. For now this setup is working well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-05-2010 at 9:26 AM.

Looks like a nice setup Keith, what dust collector are you using.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick,

My DC is an old Grizzly 1.5 hp that I purchased about 17 years ago. It still works good to this day so I guess I got my monies worth plus some

Nice Keith, I didn't know about that black rotating ball. Since I'm setting mine up right now, I think I'll try that. Thanks for the idea.

Jim

Jim,

I think Rockler sells the same rotating ball as WoodCraft. The price was $14.95. I was able to shorten up the hose a little more when I installed the ball because of the swivel and it keeps the hose from binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jim,

I think Rockler sells the same rotating ball as WoodCraft. The price was $14.95. I was able to shorten up the hose a little more when I installed the ball because of the swivel and it keeps the hose from binding.
    Holy Cow that's cheap. I priced a 6 inch rotating ball from Air Handling Supply, and they are certainly proud of it. I never did buy one since they cost so much...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I have found with the flex hose coming off the elbow I do not need a ball. Especially not with the table area of my machine. I am running 5" metal to the middle of the machine and reducing to 4" flex to the shoe.

You folks know about the split shoe cnc dust shoe Kent makes? I am hoping to get one for Christmas to replace mine.

http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ehF...layer_embedded
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jim,
    The Rockler 4" by 2.5" swivel ball is $13.99 and it is catalog item number 28173.

Mike,
    I like Kent's dust shoe and I think it would fit my Stinger just fine but I don't think it will fit a ShopBot without modifications. I went to his web site and I didn't see any links to a shoe that fits a 3.25 hp PC router.

Keith,

I have one of Kent’s shoes and a Porter cable 7518 3.25hp router on my CAMaster MC4848 machine. It works great and his service and wanting to help is fantastic.

I was running a job carving 3D detail in a deep dish bowl the other day and decided to go up to the house to get a cup of coffee- 1st mistake. When I got back to the shop I discovered that the long brushes on the shoe got trapped in the side of the dish because the side was too deep to allow the brushes on the shoe to move out of the way- 2nd mistake. Both mistakes were my fault but the router bit melted the brush together. I sent Kent an email that day (Sunday) explaining what I had done and asked him to send me a new brush and how to pay him. To my surprise he called me about an hour later to see exactly what happened. We talk for a while and he told me he was going to send me out a new brush the next day no charge. I told him it was my fault so I would pay but he said no and wouldn’t even let me pay the shipping which was priority mail.

I couldn’t believe that he did all that but would sure recommend his product and service.

I like your vacuum setup; I didn’t know that the swivel ball was available either, thanks for sharing.

Mark

Thanks Keith. I'll keep it in mind if I need a 4x4 ball swivel (When I finally get a router at home?). I need a 6x6 steel. AirHand.com has 'em but they want $175 for them. Come to think of it, it's not that expensive compared to the other stuff I bought from them...

I need 25' of 10" abrasion resistant flex hose at the moment, and it's kinda spendy- $486 for 25 feet.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 12-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim,

I wish I owned a machine that needed 10" DC hose....I would be grinnin like unto a possum

Peachtree and Lee Valley have 4" plastic ball and socket joints at attractive prices.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_ports.htm#477

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,42401,62597

-kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 12-06-2010 at 7:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Johnston View Post
    Keith,

I have one of Kent’s shoes and a Porter cable 7518 3.25hp router on my CAMaster MC4848 machine. It works great and his service and wanting to help is fantastic.

I was running a job carving 3D detail in a deep dish bowl the other day and decided to go up to the house to get a cup of coffee- 1st mistake. When I got back to the shop I discovered that the long brushes on the shoe got trapped in the side of the dish because the side was too deep to allow the brushes on the shoe to move out of the way- 2nd mistake. Both mistakes were my fault but the router bit melted the brush together. I sent Kent an email that day (Sunday) explaining what I had done and asked him to send me a new brush and how to pay him. To my surprise he called me about an hour later to see exactly what happened. We talk for a while and he told me he was going to send me out a new brush the next day no charge. I told him it was my fault so I would pay but he said no and wouldn’t even let me pay the shipping which was priority mail.

I couldn’t believe that he did all that but would sure recommend his product and service.

I like your vacuum setup; I didn’t know that the swivel ball was available either, thanks for sharing.

Mark
    Thanks for the link Mark, I just ordered ones of Kent's dust shoe because my Stinger only has a 2.5" port so I loose suction. I received a email from Kent within minutes of placing my order - great service.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

No problem
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

keith

very nice setup! i just got a legacy machine and i purchased kents shoe.
    I bought regular 4" dust collection hose and it seems very stiff. is this the right
    kind of hose or do ya'll use something different... thanks john
    Just an old guy learning new tricks
    Knoxville Tennessee