Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a heavy package in the mail

Getting a heavy package in the mail

Hello Everyone, I'm a new account holder to this site and relatively new to woodworking. I'll be ordering a new table saw this weekend, upgrading from a royobi to the grizzly G0715P. I've never received a 400lb package in the mail before and I'm interested to hear about anyone's experience/tips with the delivery and setup process.

I called griz customer service and asked how they go about getting it to my door, the lady told me I'm responsible for getting it off the truck and into my house/garage. Really? I asked how most of their customers go about doing that for home deliveries. She said they usually have a fork lift or palate loader. Seriously...most people have a palate loader or fork lift? Yep. She did tell me that I could get a bunch of guys together to help me out. But for me, trying to get a bunch of guys together at any given moment, without warning, when the delivery truck arrives would be like trying to herd cats.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback. Oh, anyone here keep a fork lift in their garage? Just curious. I guess I've been extremely naive about what my neighbors are hiding.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-04-2010 at 3:52 PM.

Call them back and add residential liftgate delivery!

It will cost you about $40-50 from Grizzly and the truck driver will set it on the ground for you. Depending on the driver he may wheel it into the garage for you on a pallet jack or not. I have always had good luck with freight company drivers and they always have put machines exactly where I wanted them however some people have had grumpy drivers that just sat it on the ground (all they are really required to do). From posts it seems like getting it into the garage for you is the norm. Dunno what was up with the lady you spoke to, this should be second nature to offer liftgate service especially when queried, but they probably deal 10 to 1 with businesses who do indeed have forklifts on hand as well as loading docks where they just zip in and pick up the machine and whisk it away to where it is needed.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-04-2010 at 3:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Heavy

Call the freight company and tell them you need a truck with a lift gate and fork truck to deliver to your house, basement, garage. They will usually do it except for my 4,450 lb. metal lathe. Had to schedule a machinery mover for $850.00 to do it. Hope I never move.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Ryan,

If you check WoodCraft, Southern-Tool or yes Grizzly you will find that "curb side residential delivery" is common and all the sites state that the trucker's only responsibility is to get it to the back of the truck.

If you pay additional fees for "lift gate service" he will show up with a truck with a lift gate and get it to the ground.

It still the receivers responsibility to get it to the shop.

Grizzly's policy is a common practice for the retail woodworking industry and it is noted at checkout at the website and on the FAQ page at all of those companies' websites.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Woodruff View Post
    Call the freight company and tell them you need a truck with a lift gate and fork truck to deliver to your house, basement, garage. They will usually do it except for my 4,450 lb. metal lathe. Had to schedule a machinery mover for $850.00 to do it. Hope I never move.

This will work as well BUT the freight company will probably charge the more customary 100-125 bucks for the service, Grizzly has negotiated very low freight rates that extend to liftgate delivery. The TS he ordered ships for $94, probably about a third of the normal unnegotiated rate, Grizzly's lift gate service is dirt cheap compared to the customary charges.

Agreed, you do have to specify residential & lift gate service.
    My Grizzly 17" band saw was delivered by UPS Freight. Backed up into the driveway, lowered lift gate and wheeled the unit into my gararge/shop-no problem. My UniSaw delivery, however, was a bit more 'dramatic'.

GB
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

My G0555P bandsaw was delivered in Fedex Freight, I have life gate on it, The driver rolled it into my garage with no problem. If you have pallet truck he'll lower the platform and you can roll into your shop.

FWIW, I always get liftgate service. I've had a lot of things delivered like that, and although they have no responsibility once it's off the truck, every one has always wheeled it right into my shop without even being asked for additional help. They just did it. When I ordered my Grizz bandsaw, I couldn't be home to meet him. I told my wife to just see if he'd get it down in front of the shop's door. He did that, then somehow got the palette on a dolly and wheeled it right into my shop.

I always tip them well. They don't have to do it so I'm appreciative. I usually give them $30 or $40 depending what I happen to have for bills in my pocket. There's a big hill going down to my shop so I wouldn't blame anyone for just dropping it off in the driveway. I didn't happen to have any cash when the guy came to pick up my jointer so instead I gave him his choice of any of the new pen's I turned that I had on hand. Of course, I towed it up to the top of my hill with my ATV the night before, so that was hardly any work at all

The only guy that ever gave me any trouble was an order of speakers we got one time. The dope who ordered them gave his business address....which was his house...on a tiny little side street in New Hampshire. He didn't want to pay extra for residential delivery. The guy showed up in an 18 wheeler. I don't even know how he got up that street, never mind how he got back out. He took the speakers to the back of the truck and said we're on our own. Personally, I wouldn't have made the delivery.

Blog Entries
    Lift gate service from FedEx Freight (all my large stuff has been last-mile'd by them) about $25. Every driver has gladly helped me get the machine into the shop and refused any sort of a tip for their efforts.

With "Lift gate Service" The driver has always wheeled it into my garage. This may vary by your delivery company.

You can also pick it up at the depot they will help load it.
    You can also rent a pallet jack if the drop it at the end of your drive.
    Thank You
    Ed

Blog Entries
    I 'd have my appliance dolly ready to move it into the garage. It really isn't that heavy. You and a buddy could wheel it into the garage (Warning...This could cost you a 6 pack).
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

12. I just ordered one of those table saws from grizzly. I paid for the elevator service and the guy rolled it into my garage. If they won't do that, just get a hand dolly and you should be fine, you can slide it onto the dolly and roll it into your garage.

I'm in a little different situation than most. Since I live in the same town as Grizzly I got to hire my own trucker. He does a lot of Grizz deliveries. It was cheap and, not only did he get the TS (G1023RLX) into my shop, he helped unpack it and took away the packing materials. Incidentally, he would not accept a tip!

The reason why I don't have Grizzly in my shop

Based on many reviews here and other places, I wanted to get a Grizzly table saw, jointer, planer, dust collector and band saw. For me, the shipping cost is considerable and having to add residential delivery made it the deal breaker. I don't have a fork lift and can't afford to hire four helpers for half a day waiting for the truck to show up. So, I have ended up buying all of my woodworking tools from Amazon which offers "white glove delivery" (I believe that is what it is called). They have always delivered it into my garage and placed it where I wanted it. They never expected any tips but seemed happy when I gave them a small tip. I am sure Grizzly is doing well enough despite their shipping policy that they don't feel the need to change anything. Had it been anything like Amazon, my shop would be filled with Grizzlies!

Quote Originally Posted by Praki Prakash View Post
    Based on many reviews here and other places, I wanted to get a Grizzly table saw, jointer, planer, dust collector and band saw. For me, the shipping cost is considerable and having to add residential delivery made it the deal breaker. I don't have a fork lift and can't afford to hire four helpers for half a day waiting for the truck to show up. So, I have ended up buying all of my woodworking tools from Amazon which offers "white glove delivery" (I believe that is what it is called). They have always delivered it into my garage and placed it where I wanted it. They never expected any tips but seemed happy when I gave them a small tip. I am sure Grizzly is doing well enough despite their shipping policy that they don't feel the need to change anything. Had it been anything like Amazon, my shop would be filled with Grizzlies!
    I think if you had inquired you would realize that Grizzly offers liftgate delivery which in the vast majority of cases gets them into your garage. Pretty much par for all the major machine companies, not sure what Amazon adds to the delivery except maybe they 100% move them in the garage/shop.