Thread: dust fittings: sizing, compatability, etc....

dust fittings: sizing, compatability, etc....

For those wanting/needing to convert or adapt fittings to connect their tools to ducting, I thought it would be useful if we could have a thread that would give some dimensions and related compatability to do so. Unfortunately I haven't measured anything yet as I am just starting to plumb my system. Also I think it would be helpful for you to show (pics) of how you, for instance, converted your 4" port to a 6" port, or transitioned from 6" to 5" plastic, etc. Did you use readily available HVAC fittings or did you have to fabricate something? I'm thinking along the lines of, e.g., "6 inch S&D pipe OD fits snuggly into a 7" cyclone outlet", or "to make a 6" port for your (tool) use a (fitting) which will connect to a (fitting). It would be nice to know if a certain pc would mate with a dissimilar pc, or what is required to make it work. HVAC measurements are fairly accurate to their sizes as the material is thin.
    I plan to add ID and OD dimensions of what I have in S&D fittings for now, please add to this info as you see fit. If we have dimension or compatabilty in one spot it would help others know how to proceed. (I'll go measure shortly)

edit 1. 4" flex hose fits over 4'" metal HVAC crimped ends, but not well over 4" DWV pipe (about 4 9/16"OD)
    6" S&D pipe ID is about 6 1/8" OD is about 6 3/8"
    6" S&D fittings ID about 6 3/16" which of course allows the pipe to fit inside
    6" PVC pipe OD is about 6 5/8"
    6" PVC fittings OD are about 7 1/4"

A Fernco 6x6 clay adapter is 6 1/4"ID on one end and 7 1/4"ID on the other end; a coupling is 6 1/4" ID
    A Fernco 4x4 clay adapter is 4 1/4"ID on one end and 5 1/8"ID on the other end; a coupling is 4 3/8" ID

Shop Vac 2" fitting is 2"ID and about 2 1/4"OD

edit 2. Maybe this isn't really helpful but hopefully it will allow someone to not have wonder what will or will not fit together.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 12-04-2010 at 1:04 PM. Reason: more info

Blog Entries
    A short piece of 4" DWV (the white plastic pipe with the black foam inner lining) will bridge the gap between 4" PVC and 4" metal or plastic blast gates.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1289704800

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1289704430

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1289704816

What

What is dWV tape?

Oh yea - it helps -Thanks. I've been wondering the same thing. What exactly fits into what and how much Duck Tape do I need to make it all work. Especially since I'm going with 6" mains and the S&D seems pretty scarce here in Detroit.