Thread: 1 vs. 2 heaters in long, narrow shop

1 vs. 2 heaters in long, narrow shop

Hi--

I currently use the back of my large garage/outbuilding as a shop and am considering adding a partition wall so I can insulate and add heat. Shop space will end up ~ 12x40' (9' ceiling).

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering ceiling mounted electrical heat (ease, weekend use, detached bldg, etc. -- con = NE electrical costs)

Using a heat loss calculator, it looks like I need ~8K watt unit for a maximum 60 degree heat gain scenario.

Without any thought, I have been thinking about one unit mounted on the toolbench side of the shop (wood storage and prep is on the far side). Then, I read a "fan throw" spec on one of the possibilities (20') and suddenly wondered whether this is a case where 2 4K or 5K units might actually work better than one -- at least from a heating point of view.

I haven't run the numbers, but 2 units will cost more than one, but possibly not by that much.

I'd welcome thoughts on the best solution for a 40' long narrow space.

Thanks.

Ken

I get radiant heat and light for the same dollar. I have 250watt clear (not red)heat lamps above my benches. It is all the heat I need in Oregon's mild winters. My shop isn't insulated.

It may work to supplement a main heat source in a cold climate. You do get instant on light and heat. Kinda like stepping from the shade to direct sun.

It does take the thermometer about an hour to get to 55F, but it's on the wall 4 feet from the warm benches.

A thermometer on the benches goes from 40F to 90F real fast. On the coldest days it goes from 20F to 70 or 80F almost as fast. That's when I switch off every other lamp. Great for drying glue.

An added plus is the heat lamps last much longer than standard bulbs. It's a simple,cheap way to get heat for my needs.

I not in the shop much in the summer, I'd switch the bulbs to CFL's if I needed more light than my 12- 4' fluorescent bulbs give off.

You figure one on each end would work well and heat the space nicely.

4. I get radiant heat and light for the same dollar. I have 250watt clear (not red)heat lamps above my benches. It is all the heat I need in Oregon's mild winters. My shop isn't insulated.
    How far overhead are those and how many do you use?

I have 3 lamps 4' above each 3'x7' bench. There's 2 benches 4' apart in the center of my shop. I've got a lamp 4' above the table saw and bandsaw, so 8 lamps total. I use a couple extra lamps on clip on fixtures to warm the ends of long glue ups if they overhang the bench area.

I have a 24x30 shop with heaters in oposite corners. With out looking I don't remember the wattage. I think they are both 7.5s (Daytons from Grainger) mounted 9 feet up from the floor 10 foot ceiling. I have them on separate thermostats. I have a couple of hour meters (when I find them) that I'm going to hook up to monitor run times. I leave them set at 40 degrees unless I'm in the shop to help keep moisture, condensation and freezing of liquids. It takes about 10-12 minutes to bring it up to 62 degrees which I find comfortable when I'm out there working.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I have 3 lamps 4' above each 3'x7' bench. There's 2 benches 4' apart in the center of my shop. I've got a lamp 4' above the table saw and bandsaw, so 8 lamps total. I use a couple extra lamps on clip on fixtures to warm the ends of long glue ups if they overhang the bench area.
    I changed to the set-up described above a few days ago. I just checked and the thermometer on the benches goes from 40F to 65F in 7 minutes.

I had more lamps last winter as described in my post #2 above. I intended to heat the entire shop. I experimented with adjusting lamp heights and had 20 lamps going for awhile. I was paying $3 per 8 hour day to run 20 lamps. It works fine, but I'm to frugal to pay that. I'd rather wear a jacket and just keep the benches warm enough for glue.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on 1 vs. 2 heaters. Clearly, two will help.

However, I'm still not sure whether one heater will do the job.

I've researched some of the options, and they spec both CFM, FPM and throw. In my size range (7.5Kw), CFM is 650, FPM is 850. I think throw is about 20'.

I don't have enough knowledge of specs or experience with space heaters to understand whether one unit will adequately heat an insulated 40x12 space. I know the BTU's are adequate; I don't understand the air movement requirement.

Thanks for the help.

Ken