Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BedRock 602

BedRock 602

Hey, a friend has "loaned" me a bedrock 602 (type 6b I think) that is kinda rough. Its got a butchered knob, no tote, and has had the rust crudely wire-brushed off doing some damage to the underlying metal.

There are no cracks anywhere. I'm wondering how hard it will be to find a knob and tote, what this thing may be worth, or if its even worth bringing back to life.....

Last edited by Justin Grow; 12-04-2010 at 3:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    I say if it is in usable condition then it is worth bringing back. I have no idea what it would go for, but even with a new tote and knob I would think it would fetch a price well worth the effort.

I would think it would qualify as a very special user grade tool.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Wow

That plane is worth about $500-$750 as long as the frog or lever cap isn't broken anywhere. You can usually find Stanley No 2 parts on eBay. I use to sell them all the time but I don't have a No 2 to sell in parts right now. The tote and knob are identical between the No 602 and No 2.

that's a keeper...

That's a keeper IMO.

A tote can be easily bought or you can get on ( I think ) it's Lee Valley's website for a pattern plan to make one of your own. I recommend Babinga for it's interlocked grain and beauty. A little more difficult to work than say cherry but worth it.

Also, you might contact Jon Zimmer Antique Tools which is located right there in Portland. He may have what you need to put what ever finishing touches you may need on the plane.

A Hock, LN, LV, or Japanwood worker replacement blade is highly recommended and will allow the ol' bedrock to perform like a new Lie Neilson but at a third the price or less in your case.

Enjoy the shavings!

The 602 is probably the most valuable BedRock besides the corrugated version.
    That's a type 6. It screams BEDROCK right out in front on the lever cap.
    Last edited by Mike Hollingsworth; 12-04-2010 at 9:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Justin,

If you really do not want to spend the time to fix that up, I'll be glade to drive down and take it off your hands.

Some of the #2 knobs do not accommodate the ring at the base.

My #2 does not get as much use as my #4, but there are times when it is the right plane to use.

Very gloat worthy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Do you think you would really use the 602? I have always thought they were more of a collector plane rather than one that would get used in the shop.
    They definitely have collector value, although I doubt your plane in the current condition would bring $500.
    To preserve the collector value, you would need to find some good original wood, which won't be cheap. Jon Zimmers does not sell plane parts, just tools that are ready to use. If you want to just use the plane, a number of sources offer replacement wood.
    If the plane is yours to with as you please, you might consider selling it as is, and using the money to buy another plane that would be more suited to your needs.

Mel

Blog Entries
    Do you think you would really use the 602? I have always thought they were more of a collector plane rather than one that would get used in the shop.
    It seems doubtful that Stanley made planes aimed at the collector market.

My motto, if it works wood, use it if you got it.

Then again, if a prettier, better, shinier tool is wanted, it can become part of the savings account toward getting the more desired tool.

Justin does mention in his original post that the tool is on "loan." He might have to consult with his friend before selling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    It sure looks like a keeper to me.

shop class

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that No 2's where marketed to junior high shop classes since the kids had smaller hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike v flaim View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that No 2's where marketed to junior high shop classes since the kids had smaller hands.
    I believe that was the #5-1/4 or the Junior Jack.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems doubtful that Stanley made planes aimed at the collector market.

My motto, if it works wood, use it if you got it.

Then again, if a prettier, better, shinier tool is wanted, it can become part of the savings account toward getting the more desired tool.

Justin does mention in his original post that the tool is on "loan." He might have to consult with his friend before selling.

jtk
    Inded, I do not own this plane yet. I'm trying though. Either I'll have it and want to fix-er-up, or I'll be trying to get the parts for it for my friend.

Jim: Obviously, Stanley didn't make planes with the collector market in mind, but I can think of a number of them that are just basically collector tools today with little potential use in a shop.

Mike: You are correct about 602s in school shops. Many have been found in old school shop cleanouts, and others have been found marked with school info, or with B of E handles on them. 5 1/4s and S18s were also widely used in school shops.

Mel

Well, its mine. Got it for a fair price I think. Now I'm working on lapping the rust and pitting from the sides and sole. Then I'll re-paint and tune up. A knob and tote are on their way. It will definately be getting a new blade and chip breaker.

I thought about having a local machine shop machine grind the sole and sides, but they wanted $150 to do it. My arms are getting tired sanding, but I've got control of how far I go.

Any suggestions on which blade and iron I should go with?

You have a very limited option here. Replacement blades offered by Veritas (of Lee Valley) and Lie-Nielsen come in 1-5/8" size, but Hock normally don't list blade for #2 sized planes even though he may be able to make one for you if you ask him. That's about it.

They both offer cap irons to go with if you wish to replace the original one. If anything, Veritas offers O1 and A2 blade while Lie-Nielsen only offers A2 at this point.