Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Low Life

Smile I'm a Low Life

I have been ordering Christmas presents online. Hence a lot of packages have been showing up at our doorstep.
    The light bulb went off. I have ordered a few hand planes from EBay and other sellers. They show up right along with everything else. I sneak them into the shop and stow them away. In the future I will use them and the wife will not know when I got them and I hope assume I have had them all along.
    I sure hope this works.

I love creative problem solving. I pulled a similar scam when I moved.

Why do I imagine something coming around and biting you in the rear?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian has a point. Jerry, I suggest you send all future purchases to my house to alleviate this potential rear biting. Just looking out for you .

Haha.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I have been ordering Christmas presents online. Hence a lot of packages have been showing up at our doorstep.
    The light bulb went off. I have ordered a few hand planes from EBay and other sellers. They show up right along with everything else. I sneak them into the shop and stow them away. In the future I will use them and the wife will not know when I got them and I hope assume I have had them all along.
    I sure hope this works.
    That plan has worked for me for years.

Can't tell you how nice it is to be able to receive packages at work!

eventually you'll have so many sitting around the house, that your partner will say when a new one arrives "what is this doing out of the shed again... put it away!"
    "Sorry love, i'll put it away"
    Steven Thomas

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Did I marry Sherlock Holmes? My wife knows nothing about woodworking, but if I order 5 Blue Spruce chisels with her knowledge, when I later get the 6th chisel to fill a gap in the spacing (conveniently ordered while she is out of town), first time I am using it she says "when did you order that chisel?" Nothing gets past her. I have given up trying.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    Did I marry Sherlock Holmes? My wife knows nothing about woodworking, but if I order 5 Blue Spruce chisels with her knowledge, when I later get the 6th chisel to fill a gap in the spacing (conveniently ordered while she is out of town), first time I am using it she says "when did you order that chisel?" Nothing gets past her. I have given up trying.
    I'm convinced that my wife has a superhuman power, an alarm goes off in her head every time I spend more than $50. Unfortunately, she hasn't figured out yet how to use it to benefit all of humankind. Instead, she just uses it to harrass me.

Matt,
    Following a business trip to the UK, several packages soon arrived at the office where they were re-wrapped, and then I got to watch my wife as she unwrapped her new set of china.
    Naturally, there was the "how did you do that?" question. I can't put much over on her either. A few years later, she and the kids surprized me with a set of three planes from Steve Knight. I think I'll keep her.
    Tom

Y'all are solving the problem the wrong way

The right way is to get your life partner interested in some activity, preferably a productive one, that has tooling as expensive as woodworking. There are dozens of prospects: gardening, at the high end, is right up there; metal work; sewing/quilting/etc.; photography; pottery; sculpture; musical performance involving an instrument (voice, not quite so much: the tools are already installed). The list just goes on and on. Once s/he needs to figure out how to justify expensive purchases, an unspoken agreement will be made in which neither of you leans on the other about buying stuff.

And you'll both have fun.

And, maybe, you can even do collaborations on projects (you do the woodworking, s/he does the upholstery - that sort of thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Benton View Post
    Can't tell you how nice it is to be able to receive packages at work!
    Unless you work in the same office as your wife...

Blog Entries
    Jerry,

I just opened an account for your wife on Sawmill Creek and sent her a link to this thread. You have been moved to the Naughty List

signed,

Santa

It doesn't actually matter, because you wife has been using the same scam to sneak things in under your radar too...

Well, if you are going to the hot place, I will be there with you. I often order things planning for arrival when my wife is working or out of town. Still, I pay all my bills and save and take care of the house, but I often cringe with the bigger purchases.

by the way, that is quite clever of you.