Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dewalts new baby, the 611 head to head with a Bosch Colt

Neither of these have dust collection, do they? Seems like a big omission. Cut for more than an inch and you can't see what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would really like to have a Colt sized plunge router, but in my experience Dewalt's new generation of routers aren't robust enough for usage in my shop. I jumped in feet first when they introduced the current DW618 and bougt three, this was five years ago and everyone of them has been rebuilt... at least once. What really get's my goat is that IMO they make the best ergonomically designed routers, yet when these die I can't see myself ever buying another Dewalt.

Anyway it's good to see a positive review of a new class of tool. But I'll be waiting on the Bosch or Milwaukee.
    I find this interesting. What exactly was rebuilt? And what kind of projects do you do with them.
    I have the same kit and never a problem but I only use it in a hobby setting.
    Be interesting to know what kind of problems to look out for.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I would really like to have a Colt sized plunge router, but in my experience Dewalt's new generation of routers aren't robust enough for usage in my shop. I jumped in feet first when they introduced the current DW618 and bougt three, this was five years ago and everyone of them has been rebuilt... at least once. What really get's my goat is that IMO they make the best ergonomically designed routers, yet when these die I can't see myself ever buying another Dewalt.

Anyway it's good to see a positive review of a new class of tool. But I'll be waiting on the Bosch or Milwaukee.
    Well as I said, time will tell, if it last as good as my 8 year old Dewalt ROS I would be real happy.
    I will only be giving it light use, not a pro shop type use and I am sure that will not really tell how good the thing is.

Blog Entries
    i just looked at CPO's website and they don't show the plunge base kit. Klingspor has it for $199. Withouth the plunge it is $139, same as CPO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    i just looked at CPO's website and they don't show the plunge base kit. Klingspor has it for $199. Withouth the plunge it is $139, same as CPO
    They do have them its just hard to find. There are a few placed I found that have them and they are all the same price, CPO has free shipping over $149.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-...dewalt-routers

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    My question is "Where did you get it?" I have not seen them at any local retailers yet. The last time I looked on the 'net, there were places showing them, but not stocking yet.

The local Lowes had the fixed base models here in TN a couple of weeks ago. But I think only CPO and a couple of other internet dealers have the fixed and plunge kits. I bought mine through Amazon from CPO and shipping was also free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I find this interesting. What exactly was rebuilt? And what kind of projects do you do with them.
    I have the same kit and never a problem but I only use it in a hobby setting.
    Be interesting to know what kind of problems to look out for.
    specifically, the problem was always bearing failure. This would lead to overheating and motor damage.

Don't get me wrong they are fine routers, they just haven't stood up to conditions in my shop. Sort of like buying an f150 when you need the F350.

specifically, the problem was always bearing failure. This would lead to overheating and motor damage.
    For the past thirty years, every router I've owned has smoked its front bearing -- Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Festool. Have you found a brand or a model that doesn't fail?

I got to see the fixed an plunge bases when I was at Tool Zone, last week. It really got me wishing that I had one for my Colt.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks Bill. I'm glad you compared the fixed base height adjustments. I just did 70+ hinge mortises and making fine height adjustments on the Colt is an excercise in frustration. It sounds like the Dewalt has it figured out.

Roger

Here's where-

I got my set from Rockler on line yesterday, same bare bones deal of the motor, fixed and plunge bases, canvas type bag that is actually useful looking. The Rockler price was $209, shipping is free right now.

I had ordered from Wordworker, they used to call themselves Woodworker Southwest I think. Anyway they sent an email special for the kit I got plus the separate edge guide sold as an accessory thown in for $199 overall. I ordered that two weeks ago but called when I didn't get after a week or so. I chatted with the rep for a few minutes over another issue with my account and learned that they would not have them until late December and yes the reps were about as ready to strangle the decision maker on that one as I was since they advertised an Email "special" with little or no stock.

I have been looking at the nice $400 microjig plunge bases since they came out and still don't use often enough to justify the cost. I had a Colt for a while but did not find it really comfortable to use so re sold it. Nothing particular, just not a good fit for me. The DeWalt looks sturdy and handy enough as so well described by Bill. If I like it as much as I think I will I'll probably ad a Microjig edge guide and maybe a circle cutter.

Of all the brands in this fairly new category to come out in the next few years the real winner will be the one with good dust collection which is the weakest link in the DeWalt product.

Regards,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Blog Entries
    Just ordered one from CPO. Thanks, Bill, for the link to the one with the plunge base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Neither of these have dust collection, do they? Seems like a big omission. Cut for more than an inch and you can't see what you're doing.
    If you click on the link Bill posted, then click on the dewalt, (or maybe it was the cpo link) and then click in accessories, it shows a Dust collection and other items. Apparently none of the online sites have anything but the basic router in stock at present though, not even the plunge attachment.

hmmmm...... now I can't seem to get back to the place I found last night, where they showed the router, plunge base, edge guide, a round, clear base plate, AND the Dust Collection attachment. You could click on the thumbnails to enlarge all of them. Oh well, now I can't even find the site that showed 5 or 6 different places to buy it, and one of those sites was probably where I saw those additional accessories.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 12-02-2010 at 3:30 PM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Any difference in power between the DW and Colt?

I'd think most wouldn't spend $400 for a plunge base for the Colt when you can get the DW for less and have one more router.

I ordered one from Amazon. It came from Black & Decker AKA Dewalt in five days. It does have dust collection but it's extra. I bought it for the same reason that Bill did. To do inlay work. The Colt for me is hard to dial in the exact depth with out a lot of fiddling with. Seems to be really well made. I haven't used it yet.
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 12-02-2010 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Bad spelling