Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dewalts new baby, the 611 head to head with a Bosch Colt

Dewalts new baby, the 611 head to head with a Bosch Colt

I got my 611 today and at this point it looks like there will be a Bosch Colt for sale in the very near future.

I got the Pak which has the motor, fixed base, plunge base and a wrench and that is it. There are no other items that come with it, no screws or guides, no plastic covers. There is also NO big plastic box, it does come with a bag which will take up a lot less room then the plastic boxes do.

First look and it really looks nice, everything looks to be of very good quality and is put together very well.

The fixed base is just a little larger then the Bosch Colt, this is without the bottom plate. The Bosch is 3 5\8" x 3 1\4" and the Dewalt is 4" round. The Dewalt is just a little taller but not by much.

PC014945.jpg

The motors and very close in size, the Bosch is a very little bit larger in diameter and the Dewalt is just a little taller. The cord on the Bosch is about 18" longer then the Dewalt. The Dewalt has a plastic cover over the switch so no dust will get into it.

PC014950.jpg PC014957.jpg

The plunge base is not that big but is does have large handles, I would like to see them turned to the back a little but they are still nice and feel good to use.

PC014951.jpg PC014953.jpg

In the fixed base the height adjustment on the Dewalt is great, it just flat kills the Bosch in that area. It takes some getting used to, to adjust the Bosch but with the Dewalt it just turning the ring, very easy.

Taking the motor out of the base is again noting, flip the lever and lift it out. You do not have to turn it, just lift it straight out. The motor lock on the bases are different. The Bosch pulls the hole base together to hold the motor and the Dewalt just has a small square that goes in against the motor.

The plunge base is just like any other plunge base only smaller. It has all the features of the larger bases. The hardware on the base if very good and smooth working. The plunge lever is placed in a good area and is easy to get to with your thumb.

The stop adjusters are as good as any I have seen on any other bases. The stop wheel has 4 fixed stops and 1 adjustable one. The fine adjuster on the rod has a very nice feel to it and is easy to turn.

Plunging the base is smooth and has a good spring in it. It is not to strong but is is strong enough to lift the router back up when you want.

PC014960.jpg PC014956.jpg

The Dewalt is a little bit top heavy when using the fixed base, not much but it is more then the Bosch. Changing bit is the same on both, push a button and loosen the nut. The noise lever on the Dewalt is less then the Bosch but not much.

The fixed base plate DOES NOT take PC bushing were the plunge base will. I had to buy a plate for the Bosch to use the bushing on it.

The 2 LEDs are a really nice plus to the Dewalt, but after a little cutting the base was full of chips any way and you could not see what was going on with the cutter that much. Some DC would take care of that I am sure.

All in all I like the Dewalt, it is a very well build and smooth running router. I have found nothing I don't like about it, it will be used a lot for my off the table routing. It cuts just as good as the Bosch and is much easier to adjust the height on and that is a big thing to me.

It looks like Bosch had better get their act together and get a small plunge base router out there or they will be left in the weeds. The Dewalt is a Colt killer the way I see it. Now time will only tell if the Dewalt last for years and years like the Colt has with no problems.

Here is the motor next to my 1617, it does not look that much smaller but it is and it is a lot lighter then the big Bosch.

PC014964.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-01-2010 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Removed implied profanity.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping Bosch will salvage the Colt with an after market plunge base. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Bill,

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the new DeWalt. I've been thinking about getting one, but I wanted to know whether anyone had tried one out yet. I did call Bosch customer service, and the rep that I spoke to told me that Bosch has no plans to come out with a plunge model for the Colt. I happen to have bought a Bosch Colt some time back, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, so I may return it and get the DeWalt.

I have a couple of questions. First, Does the DeWalt use just a 1/4 inch collet? I would assume so.

And second, what applications do you see that will be best served using a plunge router of that size?

Thanks,
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Bill,

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the new DeWalt. I've been thinking about getting one, but I wanted to know whether anyone had tried one out yet. I did call Bosch customer service, and the rep that I spoke to told me that Bosch has no plans to come out with a plunge model for the Colt. I happen to have bought a Bosch Colt some time back, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, so I may return it and get the DeWalt.

I have a couple of questions. First, Does the DeWalt use just a 1/4 inch collet? I would assume so.

And second, what applications do you see that will be best served using a plunge router of that size?

Thanks,
    Louis
    Yes the Dewalt uses a 1/4" self-release chuck.

I have just started to do some inlay work and the Colts adjustment is really had to work with, you have to tilt the router into the work. With the plunge base you don't have to do that. Plus the lights on the Dewalt will be really nice to see what you are doing.

I did do a little cutting with the shop vac close to the router and that did pull the dust out and you could really see what was going on and were you were.

I do plan to use it for other things also, edges and things like that. When I was making cutting boards I use the Bosch to cut the juice groove around them and it sure would have been nice to have the plunge base for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm hoping Bosch will salvage the Colt with an after market plunge base. I'd buy it in a heart beat.
    No question, I would love to have one, the only thing I could find was $400 and that is a little high for my needs.

I sent Bosch and email asking the question about a plunge base small router but never got a reply.

I think they better come out with one or the Dewalt will take over the small router world.

Bill,

One more question, if I may. Based on what you've learned after analyzing the Colt and the DeWalt, in your opinion could Bosch come out with a plunge base that would work with the existing Colt (as opposed to them creating a new version)? What I guess that I'm getting at is, does it seem likely that you would be able to remove the existing Colt from its base and insert it into a plunge base, or is the design of the Colt such that it would not be able to be done that way?

The reason that I'm asking is that even though I've already spoken to Bosch and have been told that they have no such plans, I might be willing to hold on to my Colt, if the chances are good that it would be adaptable to a plunge base.

Thanks,
    Louis

My question is "Where did you get it?" I have not seen them at any local retailers yet. The last time I looked on the 'net, there were places showing them, but not stocking yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm with you. The DeWalt is nice but, not enough smaller once in the plunge base to make me bite (yet).

Great review as usual Bill. Thanks for being so thorough. This is a tool format that I think Bosch is really missing the boat on. I would probably pay as much for a Colt plunge base as I did for the Colt with no hesitation.

Blog Entries
    I've considered making a plunge base for the Colt. I suppose speings could be purchased from an online parts purveyor. I might start looking the websites for them.

Some 3/8" and 1/2" thick white oak might make the stucture of it.

Has anyone else considered this?

Just FYI for the Colt owners - there is a plunge base available.
    http://microfence.com/plunge-base-p-29.html
    Pricey but it's an extremely well made tool.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Bill,

One more question, if I may. Based on what you've learned after analyzing the Colt and the DeWalt, in your opinion could Bosch come out with a plunge base that would work with the existing Colt (as opposed to them creating a new version)? What I guess that I'm getting at is, does it seem likely that you would be able to remove the existing Colt from its base and insert it into a plunge base, or is the design of the Colt such that it would not be able to be done that way?

Thanks,
    Louis
    I am sure they could but I am not sure they would. I think it would be better to design a new router housing with a different adjuster on it. I am sure they know that the one they have is not the best in the world.

Thanks again Bill,

You're probably right. Where did you find the new DeWalt? I didn't see it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    My question is "Where did you get it?" I have not seen them at any local retailers yet. The last time I looked on the 'net, there were places showing them, but not stocking yet.
    I just ordered it from CPO, they have them in stock and was their shipping fast. I ordered it on the 27th and it was here today and it was free.

Now they did you Fedex

Nice review Bill. What is the street price for the kit? Not sure this is actually a colt killer for me. I've been considering a small plunge router for a few things, I've though about the trend or even a dremel. This option looks interesting too. I'd have to hold it in my hands though to see if its for me. Is there a plunge only version available? I don't need another trim router on steroids personally though I can see the appeal for sure for some users. I guess it depends on your tool mix and work habits. I personally prefer something like the PC310 for a small potent trim router. That squat package is great for small scale edge forming, probably the standard by which I personally judge all others. I'd rather have a couple of 310's, a few colts, some sort of small plunge router, and go up from there in size.

I would really like to have a Colt sized plunge router, but in my experience Dewalt's new generation of routers aren't robust enough for usage in my shop. I jumped in feet first when they introduced the current DW618 and bougt three, this was five years ago and everyone of them has been rebuilt... at least once. What really get's my goat is that IMO they make the best ergonomically designed routers, yet when these die I can't see myself ever buying another Dewalt.

Anyway it's good to see a positive review of a new class of tool. But I'll be waiting on the Bosch or Milwaukee.