Thread: Router for 1/2" rabbets

Router for 1/2" rabbets

Need some help making a decision for a new router. Been reading through all the router threads and see the recommendations. I have concerns about some of the models that are being recommended.

I currently have a skil plunge router and will be keeping it for use as a second router, (plunge cuts, and squaring up edges with a straight edge)

Primary use for the new router will be for some home organization projects, garage cabinets (lots of them), laundry room cabinets, and closet organizers. (Lots of 1/2 “ veneer plywood with solid wood edges) Buying the new router to speed up results. Having a hard time adjusting depth and holding it on the plunge router. Plus don't have the power to take a full 1/2" x 1/2" cut.

I will continue my current use of a ¾” sheet of plywood on saw horses for a router table. No room for a table, I work outside when I can, and when the projects are over, the router gets stored and the plywood slides behind a tool box.

I’ll be cutting ½” dados, ½” rabbets along on solid stock to finish shelf edges and for cabinet construction. Also need to make some doors for the cabinets and for the garage I was planning on running one of the Bosch tongue and groove cutters for the door frame and then using ¼” ply for flat panels. I might do some basic raised panels for the laundry room cabinet doors.

So here it goes.
    I’ve been looking at the Bosch 1617EVSPK, the Milwaukee 5616-24, and the PC 893(4,5). My concern with all of these is the depth adjustment, durability and accuracy. I understand their style of adjustment is convenient, I just don’t know if the depth adjustment being on the side is really that accurate or durable. How much do larger bits tilt and how well it holds during a deep cut?

Since my table is piece of plywood on saw horses, it’s easy enough for me to flip it up on its side and make depth adjustments. I have also been considering the PC690LVS and the Dewalt DW618, thinking that perhaps this style is going to lock depth and not move during my cuts.

I would appreciate hearing about your experiences with these potential issues for my intended use.

I have the Bosch and like it, the pc I have used and it's also quite good. Depth adjustment is good with both, I prefer the Bosch. If you want to take out a 1/2" rabbit in one pass, get a shaper, not a router. I don't know of any bit or router that will produce consistent results in most wood products taking out that much material at once. With a few light passes your results will be better and almost any router will do.

I have the Bosch set and love it, the PC also has good reviews, never used the Milwaukee. My main complain with the Bosch is lack of built in dust collection port while routing, there is an adapter you can buy but I think it should come standard and those that have it generally don't seem too impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I have the Bosch and like it, the pc I have used and it's also quite good. Depth adjustment is good with both, I prefer the Bosch. If you want to take out a 1/2" rabbit in one pass, get a shaper, not a router. I don't know of any bit or router that will produce consistent results in most wood products taking out that much material at once. With a few light passes your results will be better and almost any router will do.
    I was considering several different options of cutters for 1/2" rabbets. A 1/2" rabbeting bit with a nose bushing, they are designed to run full 1/2" to the bushing (but perhaps not the full 1/2" depth adjustment in one pass)? Or one of the 1/4" x 1.875 dia carbide cutters on a 1/2" arbor. Set the upper edge 1/2" above the table and 1/2" from the fence (then take a cut and flip the board on its edge to make a second cut, but no adjustment involved). Or perhaps 3/4" or 1" dia cutter and single pass, (maybe with a helix to pull the dust out of the way).

Thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries
    I have yet to read a router book that recommended more than 1/4" x 1/4" worth of material in one pass except one; it stated 3/8" x 3/8" was OK if the router and your arms were up to it. Your feed rate will have to be reduced and a single pass could actually take longer overall and be harder on your equipment than multiple passes. It really comes down to a combination of things; bit profile, quality and rotation speed, motor power, material characteristics, etc. You don't want to feed your cut to the point of bogging your motor, causing chatter or snapping a bit; that saves no time at all.

If you really need to hog out that much material in one pass, no need to kill your bits or your router. I would use a dado stack or a shaper. The dado stack would be working near recommended capacity, the shaper would just be getting warmed up ;-) You do lose some of the flexibility that a router gives you but, it sounds like you are looking for some speed here. Take a look at some router how-to books and articles and I think you'll find multiple passes for large cuts are the recommendation from many authors. Just my .02.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-30-2010 at 10:08 PM.

I love my Bosch. The only fault I have with it is that it doesn't take standard bushing guides without their stupid adapter (or replacing it with an after market plate like I did). Other than that, I like everything about it.

I had some time to look over a few of the routers today at the store and definitely preferred the depth adjustment on the Dewalt. I like the fact that the motor body does not rotatate when making adjustments and there was no tilting or depth change when locking or unlocking.

Ordered the DW618PK from Amazon for $179.

Garage cabinets are progressing. Hope to have the carcasses done and start the doors after the new router arrives.

While I was at the lowes I picked up (2) Bosch bit sets on clearence. 85265MC Ogee stile and rail (2) piece set ($55) and 85640MC Ogee Raised Panel ($45). Looks like a good deal on the first one and on par for the second.

Thank you for the feedback.

I was going to recommend the DW618, but you beat me to it and bought one. IOf my 8 routers, 2 are DW618, because I like them so much. You too will be happy with your choice.

Now for the second problem, cutting rabbets and dados. If you are going to be making dados for shelving, I suggest that you use a smaller bit than the thickness of your shelf and make 2 passes. Do a Google search on "Exact Width Dado Jig" and follow the instructions to make one. Your dados will be the perfect width for your shelf thickness. If you try to do it in one pass, you will discover that the bits aren't available for the exact thickness of your shelf and the shelf won't fit properly.

Charley