Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Susan for finishing?

Lazy Susan for finishing?

I'm going to be spraying some finish and could use a largish Lazy Susan to make the process a little easier. I've often thought having a LS would make spraying easier.

I could get a mechanism from Rockler (about $12 for 12") and add a couple of 20-24" MDF discs to make one. But I'm a little pressed for time.

Has anyone been in any national stores lately and seen a large LS for a reasonable price?

When I painted the body of my golf cart I rigged up a makeshift "lazy susan" by taking a fairly large piece of plywood and placing it on 10 to 15 "roller balls"
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30066&cat=1,240,41060[/url]

Nothing was permanently fastened down but it worked very well.

Fred Mc.

How about the front wheel and axle assembly from an old push bike. Screw the end of the axle to a stabilising plate and put a piece of melamine on the top surface.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I've seen two iron gas pipe lengths, one say 1 1/4" and the secondmthe next size up, maybe 1 1/2", each with a threaded screw flange on one end, placed one inside the other to make a strong lazy susan for spraying. You screw one flange to a base, the other to a top, you're done, maybe a 10 minute and $30 dollar build? Jeff Jewit's new book has an example though I've seen it done elsewhere. You can set the height with different lengths of pipe and can buy all the parts at any decent hardware or plumbing store.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'm going to be spraying some finish and could use a largish Lazy Susan to make the process a little easier. I've often thought having a LS would make spraying easier.

I could get a mechanism from Rockler (about $12 for 12") and add a couple of 20-24" MDF discs to make one. But I'm a little pressed for time.

Has anyone been in any national stores lately and seen a large LS for a reasonable price?

I did almost exactly that when I had a whole bunch of drawers to spray. I bought the lazy susan from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-1000-lbs.aspx). I just attached it to a couple scrap plywood boards. No need to make them round really. When I was done, I took it apart . . . threw away the plywood and now the lazy susan is in a drawer in my shop.

If you don't have a Woodcraft near by, I would imagine there is store that has them locally.

-Brian

If you've got an Ace Hardware near your location, they carry a 12" unit that might fit your needs.

I've tried the cheaper units and have never been satisfied: too much wobble and noise. Given that this is a shop fixture and assuming you can live with that, you might also add a couple of supporting glides around the perimeter of the disc to take up the wobble and keep it from binding up. The really thing nail-on glides might work, or you could cut up a couple of shims and add UHMW tape to help it slide.

Another idea would be to use 4 casters on the perimeter of the platform and a pipe and mounting flange or a dowel at the center, fixed to the base platform. Not light or as cheap as the lazy susan ring, but it could double as a shop roll-around (use swivel casters and remove the rotating platform from the base).

I got mine at Lowe's. Maybe not the best but I think it is at least 12", and has worked for what I need.

Excellent idea--and perhaps the only good use of lazy suzan hardware

Mines 16 x 24, made of melamine and has a dozen 2" screws sticking out of the top to support the pieces being sprayed. This allows you to finish both sides of doors at once, and keeps things off the messy top.

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 11-30-2010 at 8:42 AM.

I'm pretty sure I got my lazy susan mechanism at Lowes or Home Depot. Its been a long time though.

Okay, thanks everyone. We have a local Rockler but I'm scheduled to go in the exact opposite direction all week and didn't really want to go that far out of the way. But I have an Ace a mile from here and a Lowes close to my daily destination.

You know those round plastic shelves used in corner kitchen cabinets? Clamp a 4" long pipe with a Shopmate and the round shelf spins freely on top. The plastic is easy to clean, if you ever had such a desire.

I made one out of the swivel mech on an old office chair. There are usually a bunch of them to be found. I mounted a piece of plywood to the top and it holds a tremendous amount of weight (which I guess makes sense since it was meant to hold a person.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    I made one out of the swivel mech on an old office chair. There are usually a bunch of them to be found. I mounted a piece of plywood to the top and it holds a tremendous amount of weight (which I guess makes sense since it was meant to hold a person.)
    Same thing that I use!

When I retired I kept the "bar stool" I used in my classroom. I plan to remove the seat and mount a round piece of either MDF or plywood to make a turntable for finishing. You may be able to find an old stool cheap at a garage sale or thrift store.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

This was previously an old round table top that I made a sub-base for and attached a 12" lazy susan bearing in between. I keep it stored up in the attic when not in use. Works quite well, I used it for this delta 12/14 as well as some cabinets and a set of kitchen chairs that were refinished a few years back.