Thread: Will Harbor Freight staplers accept other brands of staples?

Will Harbor Freight staplers accept other brands of staples?

Hello,

I just bought a Harbor Freight narrow crown stapler, and Harbor Freight doesn't have a very large selection of staple sizes. Does anyone know whether Harbor Freight's narrow crown stapler will accept other brands of staples?

Thanks,
    Louis
    Last edited by Louis Brandt; 11-29-2010 at 5:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can't say that I've bought staples for it, but mine is a combo brad/stapler and I bought Bostich brads and they work fine, so I'd feel pretty safe buying the same brand in staples.

It Will Work

I just borrowed my neighbor's HF stapler about a month ago and used Bostich staples in it. It worked fine.

Charlie

Thanks, I was hoping that I could use other brands, since Harbor Freight's selection is not very good. I just didn't want to take a chance with another brand if there was a chance of the staples jamming.

Louis

Make no difference what brand it is BUT..... They must be the same size/Gauge.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes, I know that the staples must be the same size and same gauge. The reason that I asked the question is that I've read many posts where one brand of finish or brad nails wouldn't work in another brand's nailer, and I was just concerned about the possibility of running into the same problem with staplers.

You didn't really state which one specifically, but I would assume that most of them are similar....that may or may not be a fair assumption though?
    The one I have is an older model that I don't think they even sell anymore. It has a 1" capacity, but I rarely shoot anything other than 1/2" staples though it. It has shot many different brands though. Porter Cable, Bostitch, Campbell Hausfield, Senco, and even some no-names in plain white boxes...all fit and worked well.

The biggest difference I have seen in staples and 18Ga brads is not in the staple or nail itself, it's in the length of the "sticks" It seems that the manifacturers can'/won't standardize the magazine length. So they vary the length of their brand of consumables.
    I have a 1.25" DeWalt 18ga brad nailer that absolutely will not take a full stick of Proter Cable nails if there are more than two left from the last one. The Porter Cable sticks are longer than some of the others.
    Last edited by Jay Allen; 11-30-2010 at 7:24 PM.