Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 42 Birdhouses in a pile

These are delightful Leo. I hope they were fun.

Marc Himes

Leo,
    Don't you be getting sick on us. Not only the brothers will miss you but really tiny birds will go homeless. Nice woek but more importantly, it's good to see you post again. Stay well.
    faust

Quite the herd of birdhouses Leo. Nice work.
    Good to hear you are feeling better.

Nice work Leo! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Looks like your packaging department needs to put in some overtime to keep up with you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Only 42? Whassa matter? Gettin' slack on us?

Glad you're on the mend. I wouldn't wish the flu on anybody!

Nice pile of birdhouses Leo! Love all the different shapes. Is this the way you're going to display them? Or have you made a display stand for them?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Glad to hear you are on the mend! Great bird houses and the pictures are wonderful too.

So it would appear that turning can cure the flu...I like that!!! And the birdhouses are great too!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Boy they are nice Leo! Glad you are feeling a bit better, and I wondered where you had been lately........I guess in some ways, we are like a big family and when one is missing, the others get concerned.

Welcome back............nice birdhouses!
    Thanks for your reply , yes I know what you mean you, do wonder sometimes why they aren't posting and hope things are OK

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Now that's a pile of birdhouses!

Glad to hear you're feeling a little better.
    Thank you Curt

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    A nice grouping Leo. How long did it take you to turn and finish 42 birdhouses?
    Thanks James, being under the gun to get them done, it took 3 days, I have lots of small pieces, but still had to cut the branches and square up the blocks to be able to hold them safely.

Normally I just turn a dozen or so when I feel like it (or need to) but this was filling up the Gallery as they had sold all but 3 pieces and asked it I could bring along some more

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Now there is a bunch of nice birdhouses Leo. Glad to hear you are doing better. I am fighting a cold with a bronchial infection and the wife is fighting pneumonia.
    Sorry to hear you and your better half are not feeling well Bernie, this bug is going around and it seems to take a long time to get rid of it, you just take care, our health is utmost important

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Glad you are feeling better Leo! Thats quite the menagerie! Don't know if its the proper word but its the one that came to mind!
    Hi and thanks Baxter , with a load of exotic birds I think it could be a menagerie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Hope you continue to feel better, not a good time of the year to get sick-guess there never is. Quite the assortment of woods and styles and good job on all. Sale or gift??
    Thanks Steve , you are right not the best of times to get sick ,
    these are all for an Art Gallery that sells them for a commission, though I've also been giving them as gifts to friends and relatives, just not these.
    Have fun and take care

Leo, you never cease to amaze me! What a great assortment of little houses. I have yet to try one, but when I do, I will go a little bigger and then try scaling back. Still ham handed!
    Glad the crud is creeping away...!
    mj

Leo, all I can say is...You're an inspiration! Thanks!!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Hey I only counted 41. Nice work though.
    Ha yes there were supposed to be 45, but two roofs became 4 and that other one just got lost somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Fabulous work once again!

The variety of your birdhouses always amazes me. I've made about 20 of them and sometimes I run out of ideas. I may have to use the natural edges on some of mine.
    Thanks Doug , finding the combinations that suit me is usually the hardest, look at some pictures of housing that are used around the world, and take hints from them to use in your Birdhouses, has helped me a time or two

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Tallant View Post
    Nice looking batch of bird houses. I bet that took a little while to knock out.
    Thanks Billy , yes all of 3 long days, good I like making them or I would quit doing that many at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Zax View Post
    Very nice batch! Get well soon.
    Thanks Norm , I'm trying.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Leo, looks like the result of a massive foreclosure!! Great work, and some really interesting designs.

Glad you are on the mend - take care of yourself.
    Thank you John , you think there was a layer involved , wish you all the best this coming Holiday Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    Leo, Looks like you have entered the Real Estate Market big time.
    Thanks Bill , well someone has to build the housing
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Leo, I think they look real good in the pile in the bowl! I have about that many that are not finished and in different stages of completion that I have been working on all year. Every time I get a nice small piece that I am not sure if I want to burn it or turn it, I spin it into an ornament shape and hope to get back to it before Chistmas. This year has been way busy and I am way behind! I am jealous of all your out put, and glad to hear your bout with the flu is coming to an end.

Great mess of baby bird houses!

Jeff
    Thanks for the good wishes Jeff
    I have some feedbags full with small cutoffs for just making birdhouse ornaments, even then I end up sawing pieces of branch and saplings to add to the mix .
    Too busy here also Jeff, even while retired there seems to be always something else to be done (glad I don't have that full time job anymore )

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Collins View Post
    Hope you are feeling better Leo. The bird houses look great. Good way to use up some of the little scraps I keep saving. Do you hollow out these smaller bird houses or leave them solid?

TomC
    Thanks Tom, yes I'm getting on the bettering hand slowly , yes all these are hollowed out and the bark ones are not much more than just the bark, roofs are also undercut and made as thin as I can

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Himes View Post
    These are delightful Leo. I hope they were fun.

Marc Himes
    Thanks Mark, I do like turning these whimsical things, the different designs seem almost endless, with all the wood colors and grain and bark combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Leo,
    Don't you be getting sick on us. Not only the brothers will miss you but really tiny birds will go homeless. Nice woek but more importantly, it's good to see you post again. Stay well.
    faust
    Thanks for the kind words/thought Faust, take care

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Quite the herd of birdhouses Leo. Nice work.
    Good to hear you are feeling better.
    Thank you Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    So it would appear that turning can cure the flu...I like that!!! And the birdhouses are great too!
    Thanks Jim , they might have helped to make me sick, (not enough sleep/rest) as these were made before I got the flu
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Leo, you never cease to amaze me! What a great assortment of little houses. I have yet to try one, but when I do, I will go a little bigger and then try scaling back. Still ham handed!
    Glad the crud is creeping away...!
    mj
    Thanks James , do try some, they are fun to make, bigger can be just fine , as long as you don't have to hang them on the Christmas tree twigs

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Leo, all I can say is...You're an inspiration! Thanks!!
    Christopher Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nice work Leo! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Looks like your packaging department needs to put in some overtime to keep up with you!
    Hi Steve, thank you it's been a tough one so far.

No Packaging Steve, the Art Gallery takes care of that, though we spend about 3 hours while traveling making cards with the wood types on them and then tie them to the respective birdhouse with thin copper wire.

People do seem to like to know something about the piece and the material used, after all each one is different and special

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Only 42? Whassa matter? Gettin' slack on us?

Glad you're on the mend. I wouldn't wish the flu on anybody!

Nice pile of birdhouses Leo! Love all the different shapes. Is this the way you're going to display them? Or have you made a display stand for them?
    Thanks Jim , yes I had been slacking off,(summertime) so then I had to do a pile of them all at once.

I do have a little stand at home and stretched some braided copper wire also, problem is there's no Birdhouses to hang as all I have left here is one I like to keep for ourselves and a undersized Birdhouse and a wooden bell ornament.
    Here's a picture of the display in January, it is empty now.

These new ones are at the Art Gallery that sells them, they display them the way they want, not for me to worry about.

Birdhouse display.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Spaulding View Post
    Glad to hear you are on the mend! Great bird houses and the pictures are wonderful too.
    Thanks for commenting Skip, it is appreciated
    Have fun and take care

Quite a flock of houses there. Kind of like a trailer park after a tornado (sorry for the morbid humor). I especially like the brownish one with the coved conical top and the finials.
    I too was wondering what happened to the prolific Leo. Happy to hear you are indeed making a fine recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Quite a flock of houses there. Kind of like a trailer park after a tornado (sorry for the morbid humor). I especially like the brownish one with the coved conical top and the finials.
    I too was wondering what happened to the prolific Leo. Happy to hear you are indeed making a fine recovery.
    Thanks for your well wishes David , "trailer park after a tornado" luckily they are not shredded up like those trailers after the tornado struck

I'm starting to get turning withdrawal, but I think it is better that I get better first, don't want to get this recurring for lack of patience ,
    Have fun and take care