Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it!!

Dang it!!

I wasn't paying attention today while working on a design on glass...
    I know better than to do what I did but for some reason my mind just wasn't in the game...

Don't try and vector glass using high power and low speed.
    Actually the vector wasn't intend, I was using the lines as guides and forgot to turn off that function..

$230.00 out the window..
    ULS V460 Photograv Corel4 Compucarve

What has happened? Can't make out from the photos (too blurred) I assume you've cracked a lens.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Yep.. It has several cracks and a burn into the glass on either side.
    Sorry about the pics, I should upgrade to a better camera.

Maybe the same thing happened to the lens on your camera! What are the chances of that? Who would ever have thought coincidences could be so amazing.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Good One
    Actually that camera fell off my motorcycle while I was doing a short clip on a tree lined road several years back It's held together with superglue and duct tape.. Really

Back on topic here Has anyone bought a lens off of the dealers on ebay? I found several lens that most likely will work in the $65.00 $70.00 range.

Hey Should be good try a company called II-VI rhis is all they do and build might get a dealI have always brought lenses off them for bigger machines

I don't see why vectoring glass would do that. Are you sure that the lens wasn't dirty?

Curt
    Epilog Helix 45W w/Rotary, Corel 12, PhotoGrav

Oh yeah It was the vector.. I was in the room and occupied and just happened to look over about 30 seconds into that point when the head started smoking and the beam futzed out. Maybe two hours since the last cleaning..

60 watts at full power and 2.5 speed over a masked image isn't a good thing..

I am curious, Why would your lens burn up if you vector glass? Is glass reflective still why would it burn your lens? Kim

Yeah, I don't understand either
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

I don't think I'm being "baited" here...

Think about it.. If the beam is fully reflected back into the lens the full power in now applied to said lens.. It's going to act upon the lens in the same way it does the glass only reflected off the mirror to burn the opposing side of the lens also..
    The cabinet enclosing the laser is there to protect the user from stray "beams" that could cause damage..
    Unless one of the "wizards" here can prove otherwise, I'm pretty confident this is exactly what happened..

But regular mirrors shouldn't be able to reflect the beam like that, should it? I've been burning through mirrors for years (both sides) and nothing like this has happened. What a weird mishap.
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Nors View Post
    But regular mirrors shouldn't be able to reflect the beam like that, should it? I've been burning through mirrors for years (both sides) and nothing like this has happened. What a weird mishap.
    Garrett,
    Normally I don't have any issues either, but the power was 100% and speed was 2.5 on the machine. The vector area wasn't intended on this project but I didn't have that function turned off.

I've done dozens of mirror and glass projects and never had an issue prior to this

Lesson learned: Make sure to check your settings and artwork before running a job

Seems to me that when the beam hits the glass it immediately micro fractures it and makes it impossible to reflect back. Just seems weird.
    Epilog Helix 45W w/Rotary, Corel 12, PhotoGrav