Thread: The Men's Hat

The Men's Hat

Thought I would share this with you. I play golf each week with a group of friends which number 10 to 15 depending on who can make it. Usually the sum total of the winnings for the day amount to about £5, so I thought it might be nice to have something that the winner takes home and returns each week for someone else to win. The competition is called 'The Men's Hat' so I used an appropriate graphic. I used American Cherry, some of the remaining stock that George Perzel kindly sent me some time ago, to make the figure and 5mm black acrylic for the oval base. I have to be honest and say I wasn't over enamoured with the acrylic when it came to gluing the wood. It shows up every little dust spec and over spread of glue. That said, I still think it turned out quite nice. I added a small clasp which I glued on the back and it's holding tight so far, we will have to see how a bit of rough handling helps it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Very nice work, Frank, and a hat too. Hope you never have to eat it!

For hanging acrylic I like to cut a 1/4" hole in a 1.25" square, then cement it over 1.25" square border, all of 1/8" material for hanging on a nail. Using Weldon I never had one fall off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi Frank,

That is a really classy work !

Regards,
    Hannu
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

Is that your profile?

That's a neat idea.. and nice execution. and that cherry is going
    to get deeper and more rich as time goes on.

Nice and simple.. but simple doesn't always mean easy..

Leave it to you to come up with a way to elevate the competition AND use your laser to boot! Great idea, and I like the contrast of the black against the cherry. Very Beidermier. I'll bet your friends love taking it home if only for a week at a time. Hopefully you'll hang it in your shack a lot of the time?

Good job, Frank!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

You're absolutely right Frank, it turned out real nice

@Joe, I like your idea for that little hanger - don't it stand off the wall for those ~ 6mm though

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Nice work Frank. Very tasty design!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    You're absolutely right Frank, it turned out real nice

@Joe, I like your idea for that little hanger - don't it stand off the wall for those ~ 6mm though

Andrea
    Yes, and I forgot to mention 2 cork circles at the bottom so it stays parallel to the wall.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Only Australians put corks on their hats