Thread: There won't be a book (at least, not now)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There won't be a book (at least, not now)

In the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15154, I examined the possibility of writing a book about the construction of my shop. I have decided not to go ahead with the book, at least not at this time.

First, here is my analysis of the poll:

• The responses to the poll have just about petered out. I had hoped for about 200 votes but only received about one third that number.

• On the surface the percentage that would or might buy the book is encouraging but then again, 631 folks read the thread but only one tenth of them voted.

• My guess is that of the approximately 570 people who did not vote about 1/3 are not members of Saw Mill Creek. That leaves about 380 people who could have voted but chose not to do so.

• I must assume that, if a person did not vote, then that person would not be interested in the proposed book.

• So, I am adding 380 to the last choice, and this results in the numbers:

would buy the book_______________________________9_______2.2%

about a 50% chance that I would buy the book________9________2.2%

about a 25% chance that I would buy the book________4________0.9%

none of the above, but I might buy if recommended_____7________1.5%

doubt very much that I would buy the book__________412_______93.4%
    • These are not good numbers, particularly when I would think that the folks at Saw Mill Creek are a representative demographic of the most likely audience for the book.

Other Considerations:

• I think that Christian's observation: "But my favorite topic is basically the inner structure of a shop - shelves, dust collection, well-thought storage, machinery ..." applies to a lot of folks (including me). So any book that I write now would be considered incomplete by a lot of folks.

• Some number of people told me that they would prefer hard copy to a CD. Providing such a thing is a whole other dimension and one that I am not willing to finance (at least, not right now).

• Margaret (my wife) has a lot of projects that she wants me to work on that were put on hold in 2004. It would be best for domestic tranquility not to undertake a book writing and promotion task right now.

What will I do:

• I will continue to make notes and take pictures as I populate the shop with machinery, cabinets, etc in order to have more complete material should a book eventually happen.

• I will work on many of Margaret's projects.

• Later in the year I will pursue the possibility of a magazine article (if anyone has any contacts and would be willing to send them to me, I would appreciate it).

• If the article happens, then I will consider a book possibility as well.

I thank everyone who responded to the thread, everyone who voted, and everyone who sent me private mail on the subject. I am neither disappointed nor discouraged.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-03-2005 at 6:47 AM.