Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punkin Chunkin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Conlon View Post
    I'm on a team that builds one for competition....
    OK - Ron - I have no interest in tossing large fruit or vegetables. But, I would like to toss, say, a softball or a tennis ball 50 - 100yds. I have looked around a bit, but haven't found any detailed designs [for free]. I have found some mind-numbing info on trebuchet math and a lot of discussions on theory.

Anyplace you know that would provide [free] designs? Also - I would ideally be able to make it, test it, break it down and ship it to a friend - just for the sheer delight of watching his wife's reaction when she sees what craziness I am up to this time............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My neighbor knocked one together using PVC and bungee cords in a day. For throwing tennis balls, that should be more than enough.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I saw that over Thanksgiving and I couldn't believe it! It looks like a fun event to attend. Those people are crazy and so are the attendees.
    War Eagle!

Punkin Chunkin is pretty cool, but these guys launching anvils has got to be just as exiting if not more...

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/10/an...worlds_man.php
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    if you get a chance turn to the Science Channel, it's on now, later, and probably will be repeated it. Big home made machines throwing pumpkins
    close to a mile. Where do I sign up?
    Joe, not confirmed yet butt this from the wikpedia info
    In September 2010, the 'Big 10 Inch' team returned to Utah and fired a pumpkin 5,545.43 feet (1,690.247 meters) - this shot is still pending certification by Guinness World Records.
    Big machines throwing over a mile now

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I built a mini one last year for my wife's school class, it stood about 4 ft high, was the trebuche style had about 12 lbs of wt and could toss a gourd about 100 ft. The class loved it had their own contest and they brought it out again this year