Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pencil sharpeners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pencil sharpeners

I am looking for a quality pencil sharpener. I once used an old cast hand cranked model that would put a point on like I have never seen before or since. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand. Does anyone have one in their shop that works exceptionally well?

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Pointed question

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    I am looking for a quality pencil sharpener. I once used an old cast hand cranked model that would put a point on like I have never seen before or since. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand. Does anyone have one in their shop that works exceptionally well?
    Harlan:

APSCO were the ones we had in school as a kid - six holes, quarter turn to remove the shavings - Google APSCO PENCIL SHARPENER

Dave Beauchesne

I've got an old Boston pencil sharpener in my shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I've got an old Boston pencil sharpener in my shop.

Same here.

You can't beat the coolness factor, esp if you're a galoot.

Odd thing, though: I tried to sharpen my mechanical pencil with it, and it made this strange grinding noise.
    Maybe it needs new bearings?

I used those type paddles in the beginning 60's when I was taking drafting in college.

Must say I've always used a sharp knife, or better still a sharp chisel - sharpeners tend to put too short a point on for my taste for a lot of draughting jobs and the like...

Heresy time, I sharpen a carpenters pencil on the side of a bench grinder wheel, ten seconds and I have a chisel point that will cut the skin it is so sharp and fine. It depends on what I am marking as to what pencil I use, dark woods a soft one etc. This method gets the pencil as sharp as a marking knife and just as fine. If a hard leaded pencil is used it will actually cut into the wood as a knife does.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I use a fine mechanical pencil

I find .3mm fine enough, but I like the white 'lead' idea I may put that to use!
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-24-2015 at 8:46 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I use a fine mechanical pencil

I find .3mm fine enough, but I like the white 'lead' idea I may put that to use!
    Me too. I have a .5 mm that's the go-to, and a .3mm for fine stuff. But for carpentry I'll either use a flat carpenter's pencil sharpened with a knife, or the standard old #2 stuck into an electric sharpener from Staples.

If you've never tried a 2mm sharpened to a fine point, you might want to try it. Held in a lead holder, it is very sturdy, and offers much less breakage.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Heresy time, I sharpen a carpenters pencil on the side of a bench grinder wheel, ten seconds and I have a chisel point that will cut the skin it is so sharp and fine. It depends on what I am marking as to what pencil I use, dark woods a soft one etc. This method gets the pencil as sharp as a marking knife and just as fine. If a hard leaded pencil is used it will actually cut into the wood as a knife does.
    Nice idea, Chris! I'm still unpacking my shop, and plan on setting up my sharpening station today. I'll give it a whirl.
    Maurice

Harlan, Walmart carries the Xacto brand sharpeners like they have in schools. It's about $6-8 and does a great job. It also has a suction base so it can be put away when no needed. Thing is all plastic but has taken a good beating from my 3 year old with no issues as of yet.

I was given this as a "going to school" present when I was four years old. That makes it 62 years old. I use it everyday and don't know what I'd do without it. You can keep your plastic, guaranteed to break, electric powered pieces of junk. This one is built to last - the way things used to be built. Made by Boston (Boston Champion).

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

After trying less expensive sharpeners, I bought the "X-Acto Ranger 55 Table or Wall-Mount Heavy-Duty Pencil Sharpener." I now have two - one in the house and one in the shop. Highly recommended. Should be able to find around $32.

Well believe it or not, I have a review on my website!

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...blepencil.html

Regards from Perth

Derek