Thread: Inlaying

Inlaying

Im looking to inlay something very colorful into my turnings. Im thinking of some sort of brightly colored or multi colored substance that can be machined just like wood. I was thinking of some sort of acrylic or some other plastic. Any suggestions? Any advice? And where can I purchase?

Mark, the only thing I have used has been System Three epoxy, tinted for color, and I have added brass filings, as well. It turns very well.

Alan Trout has mastered the casting of some of his work with resins, and hopefully, he will comment.

Then, there are the Inlace products. I have not used them, but there are a variety of colors and nuggets that can be used for granular filler. It is not cheap, however.

I have been pleased with the System Three product, and I think the uses could be expanded well beyond what I have done. It can be tinted with paint pigments from your paint dealer - the same stuff they use to mix paint. So, the colors are unlimited, and you could incorporate a variety of aggregates for different effects.

Mark, the only thing I have used is inlace nuggets in turquoise and white. Cost is $10.00 for 4 oz. The nuggets are about the size of rock salt, so they need to be crushed first. Very easy to use and finish. Here is a link;
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ce_nugget?Args=

I've used brass filings, dried coffee, turquoise, and red coral, Malachite...and I think that's it
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

You could buy a pretty pen blank you like then either cut it into little pieces or throw it into a "throw away" blender.

But in-lace is the most common "color" I've seen used. That and colored epoxy.

I have used brass filings from Ace from there key making machine, sawdust, turquoise, aluminum and copper filings with Stick Fast epoxy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've used all of the above except the system three. The stones (turquoise, malachite, azurite) are definitely a lot more work to get them sanded down, but I like the way they look. I got them from Arizona Silhouette. I currently have a couple projects under way where I'm using crushed shells (from a string of shell beads) and crushed "gemstones" (probably some kind of quartz, again from a string of beads - got both at the craft store).

I've also recently used a mix of epoxy, copper dust (CSUSA) and coffee, and I really like the way it turned out. I've got some pics I'll post when I get the camera back out, although I'm guessing the pics won't show it as well as it really looks.