Thread: Thein Baffel inside -vs- Thein separator

Thein Baffel inside -vs- Thein separator

Hi all,

I snagged a 2 HP Harbor Freight dust collector that they sold without the bags. I got if for $80.

Last week I ordered the Wynn 35A filter to go on top. It should be here soon.

I have seen where some have inserted some kind of a baffle inside the dust collector.

Anyone have any good information on this about how well the Thein baffel works -vs- a Thein separator?

2. Read this http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm and the Forum link is on the bottom. There are some older posts that have more examples integrated into the 2 bag DC system.

The Thien baffle & Thien separator are the same thing. Some do mount the baffle in an enclosure before the D.C. to keep most stuff out of the D.C. I have no experience with that setup. I do have a writeup here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Thien

I'm still happy with it. I still get some dust in the filter but few or no chips.

I like the separator in front of my fan. That way big pieces won't hit the fan blades and it is easier to dump the barrel. I still have a plastic bag on the bottom of the DC that gets very little dust in it

Thank you. This is becoming clearer. I can see that each way has it's own features and benefits. And you could start out with either one and go from there without having invested too much.

Please have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. And make sure you sneak away for some time in the shop too.

One thing I'd be interested in and haven't seen any info on it. The lids that go on trashcans with a hose in and hose out supposedly cut D.C. performance a fair bit and you can't use 6" hoses with them; a 6" hose will move enough air to scour the can and all the chips will wind up in the D.C, same as without the pre-separator. I wonder how a Thien baffle built into a can compares in performance to one after the fan. I doubt the chips would be sucked out of the can placed before the fan but I wonder if there's a CFM penalty like the plastic lids.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I doubt the chips would be sucked out of the can placed before the fan but I wonder if there's a CFM penalty like the plastic lids.
    No free lunch, there is always a penalty.

However, there is also a hit on a conventional cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    No free lunch, there is always a penalty.

However, there is also a hit on a conventional cyclone.
    Not even on Thanksgiving? . I knew there's a hit with cyclones hence the need for bigger fans and motors. I recall from Bill Pentz' site that there's less of a hit from a blow through configuration than from a suck through configuration, but there's a hit both ways.