Thread: Two in a row.... YAHOOOOOOO

Two in a row.... YAHOOOOOOO

Here is the little cherry bowl I was working on... 7x2.75"... this is only the second bowl I have turned that stayed together...
    The rim treatment is crushed malachite stone... a lot harder to work than the crushed coral was... it actually grooved the shaper I was using... tough stuff.. instead of being recessed into the rim it is slightly raised... actually looks pretty good....
    The stone in the body is there to fix a really bad pitch pocket that I ended up removing with my Dremel tool....
    The finish is not as good as I wanted, but the shape is nice and I am satisfied with my second bowl... Some good wax and a buffing should take care of the outside.... for some reason it came out duller than I thought it was on the lathe...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Not only success, but a definite theme going on here with the inlays, Tom!! Nice job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom, I really like the shape of this bowl and the inlay around the rim...however, personally, I find the stone patch in the body to be quite distracting. I think the material used is what bothers me. I wonder if a different material would have been better to in this case. Perhaps something such as coffee grounds. The color of the stone just looks and feels out of place to me.

Please know that this is my opinion and we all know about opinions.

Keep up the good work on your bowls.

keith
    Last edited by keith zimmerman; 12-30-2004 at 4:21 PM.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Very nice tom. I am guessing that this is the bowl that you were power sanding. It came out looking real good.

Nice job Tom!

you do nice work!
    Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Tom, really nice. I'm with Keith on the patch, but I love the rim and the inside wood grain is very eye catching.

What exactly did you do differently on the outside, just not buff as much?

I just went back and read your line about it being your *second* bow. Incredible. You guys are discouraging me. I can't even turn a stick from a dowel.