Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I were to buy a new brace, which one?

If I were to buy a new brace, which one?

I know most of you will say to buy used, but for sake of argument, are there any new ones worth using?

Why?

EVERY homeowner had to have a brace back before and in the ten years or so after World War II - indeed, probably a little later; and so did every carpenter (one or more). There have got to be, based on my experiences at garage sales, ten or more of them available for every one of us who might be interested. In my area, they go for $1 each, as a rule. I've paid more than that only for especially clean or especially lustworthy examples. I'm up somewhere around 20 in my shop, and have donated at least that many to thrift stores.

If you live in a garage sale desert, put a "want" on the classifieds; if I have time after Thanksgiving, I'll even dig through my clump and see if I have an extra (PM me if you'd like me to do that).

I haven't seen a brace in the catalogs that would motivate me to spend retail money on one.

Not what you asked, I know...

brace

Gotta agree with Bill Today most things are value engineered to death These old ones and as Bill says there are many available were made to a higher standard. While there are some very good plane makers and chisel makers and saw makers today I don't think that there is a single "brace" maker of quality today. Pick up an older one and spend a little time on it, you will have a much better tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Null View Post
    I know most of you will say to buy used, but for sake of argument, are there any new ones worth using?
    Well, Lee Valley will sell you one that they say works. It's probably pretty good.

(But of course, I would also say to get an old one.)

Check with walt at brass city tools. He has some good users and bits for great prices. That is where I got mine. I give him too much of my money and I havebeen happy every time.

I thought that might be the response. I just wanted to know if there were any decent new ones and the jury seems to say.....NO! LOL

Unlike saws and planes, I guess nobody is making a usable brace. Except for Bridge City, but that is a bit more than I want to spend on a brace.

So now the question is what to look for in used?

I live in Santa Clarita, a bedroom community outside of Los Angeles. I don't think it is old enough to have a lot of garage sale stuff like old tools. I haven't seen any.

But honestly, I am not really a garage sale kind of guy. Any good sites to buy used? I have been looking on the Creek Classifieds, but have not seen anything lately.

Thanks for your input.

Tim

I would go to Sandy Moss ( sydnassloot.com ), Patrick Leach or Walt at Brass City Records -- they are all knowledgeable and honest. If you want a brace that can hold round bits as well as the square shank auger bits mention that. Also sweep is a choice -- I have 6,10 and 12"; the bigger brace is for bigger bits. 10" is the most common. I have Stanley 923's which work fine and hold everything. The Bell System braces are very well thought of. Also do you want rosewood handles or is composition OK? And if you want a looker with all the plating intact you'll pay a premium -- but braces are not very expensive in any case. But discuss your needs and wishes with any of those gents and you should be fine. Any they all will take back anything that's not satisfactory -- although I doubt you'll need that!
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 11-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Any of the antique tool dealers mentioned will sell you a good brace that will work well. If you don't want to pay their prices, brace drills on ebay routinely expire with no bids selling for $5-$10 plus shipping. I've yet to buy one that didn't function, though one of mine is pretty sloppy from years of (ab)use.

Jon Zimmers, a personal friend, has some very good user tools on his website:

http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/

Mel

Blog Entries
    I picked up a 6" brace at the Webster flea market on monday for $10 (check out my thread to see it)
    I have been watching the bay for a 6" and they all seem to go for $40+ so when I found that one for $10 I popped fast, probably could have talked him down to $7.

There were a bunch of 8" and 10" braces there that I am sure could have been had for $5 or $10.

Braces are simple tools, good wood and good chuck jaws usually mean a good tool. If the ratchet works (if there is one) it's a good tool. IMO that's about it.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post
    Well, Lee Valley will sell you one that they say works. It's probably pretty good.

(But of course, I would also say to get an old one.)
    Yup - we have new ones.... but I'd also advise buying one used.... they're not only less expensive - but will likely be better made...

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Yup - we have new ones.... but I'd also advise buying one used.... they're not only less expensive - but will likely be better made...

Cheers -

Rob
    And that's from the horse's mouth!

Question for Tim

Some addition considerations for you to think about:
    Most brace users have more than one brace for good reasons.
    A smaller sweep turns faster, which works well for countersinks and smaller bits. A larger sweep allows you to turn larger bits easier.
    If you are smaller in build, sometimes the larger brace is better.
    If doing lots of countersinks, a brace without a ratchet is lighter.
    (Spofford style, etc.)
    Ratchets allow positioning the handle for maximum torque.
    Ball bearing chucks tighten better and release better too.

Another consideration are the bits and the types of holes you want.
    The Irwin solid center style makes fast holes in pine and are harder to keep straight in the hole than the Jennings pattern. (Practice minimizes this issue). The Jennings pattern makes smoother holes in most situations that you will run into.

Spoon bits, and screwdriver tips are also handy.

I suggest you chose your bits and then get braces to handle them.
    All the above mentioned dealers have good service.
    Personally I like the Peck-Stow & Wilcox Sampson style of ratchet braces with the Bell system ones a close second.

Eric

Thanks Eric, that makes a lot of sense. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs, so size is not a problem. I have multiple powered drills to do different tasks so it only stands to reason that hand powered would follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    Jon Zimmers, a personal friend, has some very good user tools on his website:

http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/

Mel
    Thanks for the link and endorsement. Just ordered a Miller Falls 14" sweep brace from him. I've been looking for a brace with a 14" sweep for a while.