Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acacia lumber??

1. I know this thread is ancient. Any plant that grows seeds (pods) like peas, peanuts, etc., are in the family called legumes. Anyway, I have enough Acacia (not sure of the species) to make a small box. Also, my avatar/photo is a mortar and pestle made from spalted Acacia saligna.It was once a tree in my backyard that died when 4 consecutive nights of below freezing temps hit where I am in Arizona. I cut the tree down leaving 4 feet of the trunk in the ground. I figured this would give me good leverage to pull the whole thing out once it rotted. It worked. I pulled it up 2-4 years later and chopped it into lathe sized blanks. That mortar and pestle this the result. I still have 2 decent sized logs in my garage.

This past summer (monsoon season) the wind took down a full grown acacia tree in my neighborhood. When they were cutting it up for disposal I stopped and took about 20 logs. Some I could barely lift. I sealed the end grain, set them on pallets, and covered them with a tarp. I think I have enough Acacia to last a lifetime now. If anyone is interested in pictures and/or willing to pay for shipping, I'll gladly send a log your way.

The Acacia from the neighbors tree that was cut down is so dense it does not float in water, wet or dried for several years.
    And a chance to repost this link about the best known Acacia in the world. Interesting to see it was in Nigeria home of the princesses lost fortunes on the internet. Must have had a princess of the tree every years for over 300 years?
    Bill D.

https://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...nk-driver.html

Had a customer come with a piece, turned out it was a stair tread from RONA (BB store) in Alberta
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Whats a bb store?

Big Box store as in Home Depot or Lowes.

Ask the customer to clarify. I have heard a lot of people refer to acacia trees around here, but they were really something else.

Around here Keim Lumber would be the place.