Thread: Jet Dust Collector on sale - worth it?

Jet Dust Collector on sale - worth it?

My local tool store has a sales brochure for Jet / Powermatic equipment that is on sale for four days only. On the list, there's a Jet dust collector, 1.5 HP with a 2 micron cartridge filter, for $449. (Woodcraft also has this unit on sale same price, think it's a Jet / Powermatic promotion). My question is this - how good of a deal is this, do I stretch and get it, or do you guys think I'd find another similar / better unit on sale for a comparable or lower price in the new year? I just upgraded to a new table saw, so I'd be stretching a bit to buy this if I do.

I should mention that I have allergies, so I'm really set on something that has a decent filter - some of the bag units that filter to 30 microns really don't do much for me. I'm currently using a shop vac with a upgraded filter for dust collection, and it just isn't cutting it that well.

If you are stretched, I think there are several magazines that have the HF 2 hp DC coupon for $139. You can add the Wynn filter for much less then the Jet. I see the Jets on CL all the time. YMMV. I Just sold my used to me Jet 1.5 hp for a used Jet 3hp.

Blog Entries
    I choose the Penn state DC2000B, and with the $150 you save between the Jet you can purchase a nano filter from Wynn. It's also quieter than the Jet...

EDIT: Here's the BCF model ($400) on the classifieds here for $250...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152982
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 11-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Any DC with a 2 micron filter or coarser needs a fine filter (1 micron) so you are looking at adding another $150.00 to that number. I wouldn't even consider the Jet for that, you can get a PSI with a 1 micron canister for $379.95, plus right now PSI has a 10% off coupon code, so cut out another $38.00 from that bill...

Or you could go with a $140.00 HF 2 HP DC, and add a $150.00 (with shipping) Wynn filter...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David-

I just went to the PSI site, to look at their offerings.

The database froze -- too many connections. An error message was returned.

Wow, do YOU have influence over customer buying habits

Blog Entries
    I had the same a few minutes ago, but it cleared itself up within 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    David-

I just went to the PSI site, to look at their offerings.

The database froze -- too many connections. An error message was returned.

Wow, do YOU have influence over customer buying habits
    Now where's the dancing banana emoticon when I need it... (If you could see me laughing now!)

I needed that today!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Smile

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll sit this sale out then and revisit one of these other options after the holidays.

Another plug for the PSI.....had many DC's over the years and this thing is a winner. Quiet - powerful. Not a complaint to be made by me.

I'm odd I guess - I had mounted a Wynn on it and after a few months went back to the bag....hated the cleaning of the cartridge. I'd slap and slam it and it seemed to be over-caked always regardless. If I had it to do again - just a pre-seperator like the Thien and bags and save the money.

Disclaimer: - I chewed up and out a lot of that nasty mdf, and when it was just wood the Wynn cleaned out nice and easy. So your use will play a factor in which one works best I think.

Sad to say, but I'd totally forgotten about PSI - I've seen their catalogs a time or two, but didn't really think about them. But they have a 1 1/2 HP unit that looks very comparable to the Jet for a whole lot less. I think I'll be saving change for a few months and head that route. I do think some sort of cyclone attachment in front of the collector is the way to go, I know my trusty Sears Shop Vac (25 years old) using a washable filter gets totally caked up after a day of sanding, and it takes a lot of effort to get it back to clean. Have seen the Onida cyclones and almost bought one, then decided I'd hold off until I could get a real dust collector.

Blog Entries
    jmike,

Put a Thein separator inside the DC and save the room taken up by a separate cyclone.

Smile Consider the Delta 50-760

All,

I am on a similar journey -- building a new shop and adding a good Dust Colleciton system (btw, thanks to all for the great threads and information, there sure is a great deal to sift through!).

I decided on the Delta 50-760 due its good reviews and relatively cheap price, $350 from Amazon. I ordered the Wynn 35A Cannister to replace the Delta 1 micron bag (will put that up for sale in the classifieds soon). Next plan is to buid a Thein seperator to pull out all of the big stuff, buy some 6" S&D Pipe, 6" Flex hose, and all the connections I need.

At this point, I have a Lathe, Bandsaw and Drill press to deal with for ducting.

Lastly, I bought the Jet AFS-1000B, love their Black Friday Sale!!! and am trying to figure out where to hang it in the new shop.

Just something to consider....