Thread: New Shop in works need advice plz

Red face New Shop in works need advice plz

Hi, I am having a shop put on the property i just bought next to my house..I am doing some sketching on how i want it to be..The size i think its going to be is 20x30 or 24x30 depending on what the builder told me..Hes going to get it out of the weather being a roof windows and plywood for me i am doing the rest myself.That being said i am trying to design a nice dust collector for it and i been reading everyones post on here and i am so confused..Money is not a problem i make decent money away from home but this wood working shop is going to be my toy at home and when and (IF) i get good i might make some money here too...lol But anyways dust collector i found this G1030Z2 3 HP Dust Collector with New Impeller looks easy to install i was going to run all PVC behind the walls instead of coming out of the ceilings where it don't have to bring up the chips .Next question is will this be the only machine (IF THIS IS A GOOD ONE) Or will i need some air filtering system mounted in my ceiling or is there a better design or what can i do to make it quite,easy to turn on without any problems down the road....The garage will be away from the house like 300 or more feet it will be my home away from the kids-wife but the builder did say instead of having electrical company come install new meter he can run the electrical from my box at my house underground to the shop...Is this good or what am i getting my self into here...All info is very helpful..Thanks a lot

If you can get the capacity on the power from your house box, I'd go that direction instead of a separate service. UNLESS you can be guaranteed they won't require you to go commercial rates on it. This might depend on your location. TXU here in Texas will only do one meter at a residence on residential rates. Any other meters are on commercial rates. This delayed me getting power turned on at my shop for about 9 months. They wouldn't move. Luckily, for me, Texas had deregulated utilities so after some research, I was able to contact another provider and get service turned on from them to the shop. So different bills, but both at residential rates. Makes no sense...Both meters are read by the same person with the company that generates the electricity!!!
    I'd go the 24 X 30. My shop is 20 X 24, and the 20' width is slightly short for the tools and having good walking perimeter around the TS with long rails. It works, but just not as comfortably.
    On the dust collection. I don't know enough about that particular collector. Is it one of the cyclones? Or a bagger? Either way, don't hide PVC, either in the walls or in the attic. It's a safety thing that Bill Pentz informed me on. If you were to create a spark from hitting metal on one of the saws, the metal could get heated red hot, drop into saw dust and start smoldering. Plastic is not going to hold the fire very long, and if the pipe is hidden, it could cut down your time to respond, and this could be disastrous. If you are going to hide the pipe, at least use metal. I had mentioned here that my piping was going to be in the attic because of my less than 8' ceiling height. Because of his words, I modified that, and opened the pipe to the shop below, and built a "tunnel" over it to seal off from the attic. I had already purchased the PVC pipe, and didn't want to start over, or I would have used metal.
    If this dust collector is a cyclone, don't worry about the pipe being overhead for the dust and chips to go up...it will be no problem. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Ok good deal i will make my shop 24x30+ i will talk to the builder maybe i can get 24x32-24x34 With 10 foot ceilings.Will talk and see if that's a issue but for sure ill do it 24x30.He also said he will put stairs going upstairs so i can use that as an attic. I will look for a cyclone dust control then that is in the 2500 range with a separator so i can put it in the attic upstairs versus seeing the pipes. So if anyone knows a really good dust control unit thats in the price range of around 2500 or less let me know..Is the cyclones loud? Can i put it outdoors? Or do i build a little closet and put it in ?? Wondering if i should use garage doors, or 1 garage door,How many windows seems i have to heat this building up and cool it...

If I understand you question correctly, then yes a second filter box is desirable. The Dust Collector (hopefully a cyclone) gets dust from the shroud at the tool, but some will escape as no shroud is perfect. A filter box placed near the ceiling along the longest wall will circulate and filter the air and needs to be run for some time AFTER the cutting or sanding has stopped to quickly reduce the fine particulates that can be suspended in the air waiting to be breathed in. If possible, arrange it so that when working at your main dust producer, you are in the output (filtered) air stream.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The most efficient use of building materials is to build in multiples of 4. I would go 24x32 if you can. You will need that extra 2' anyway!

Thanks guys All this info is helping me out so much..Now i got the size of the shop i want, got the filters figured out now i just need to make sure that i can run power off my house underground 500 feet away to my shop.Didn't want another meter added to the shop..And how many doors i will need and if i wanted to add small amount of windows and where at..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sayre View Post
    And how many doors i will need and if i wanted to add small amount of windows and where at..
    Windows are great for a workshop. I love both the light they produce in the shop as well as the view I have when I look out. My whole shop was designed around the placement of the windows and the view from them. The biggest problem with windows like mine is that they take up valuable wall space. If you don't have beautiful view from the site of the shop like I do I'd suggest windows high on the wall to maximize your wall space. Skylights are also a great option for shops.

As for dust collection a cyclone system such as those from Oneida, Penn State Industries or ClearVue or Grizzly would be better than the Grizzly system you mentioned. Jim mentioned Bill Pintz when he told you about the piping. Here is a link to Bill's website: http://www.billpentz.com/ Some consider him to be an "expert" on dust collection. I''l leave that to you to decide.

Due to space limitations and the fact that our new house didn't come with a garage I opted for a 24' x 40' shop garage building. After building it I wish the whole thing could be used for shop space. If I did that my custom car would be out in the elements, so that option is out of the question. If money is no problem in your situation I'd suggest that you did what I did. I designed the biggest building the site would legally hold.

My shop build can be seen at: http://web.me.com/woebgonbassets/Woe...struction.html

As the website page states, "After living here for well over a year I’m finally able to find time to start organizing the shop and work on my long neglected furniture projects. It’s starting to be exciting again. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to start posting some interior shots as well as photos of some of my work." My wife and I have spent several days this last week making headway on getting the shop organized. Even after the shop is up and "finished" be aware that it will take a lot of time and thought to get the shop ready for cutting wood and actually making things.

Enjoy the adventure and all the excitement that comes with it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Well as bad as i wanted to build a shop i think ill hold back on doing any building atm..I been reading way to much on here on what to do and what not to do as soon as i get a figure in my head what i wanted to do someone else says not to do that...I am so confused on what i want to do all i want is a workshop fairly large so i don't have to be working up on some other tool And i got to know how i want it built for the tools i will have and i wanted to start buiyng the tools from grizzly like the polar bear series and someone now says grizzlys are not good tools...So after all this writing it all on paper guess ill sit back wait for better tools to come out or should i say newer designed tools and then start then..All i want to do is have a shop to make things i want and maybe 1 day sell and make a little money here and there i dont want this to be my main income..I work on cars just wanted this shop as a hobby and like i said make things here and there for myself and maybe to sell too...So confused now...Guess ill watch this website for a few months to a year read all the post on here to get knowledge...Thanks for all your info guys in this though ive learned a lot ..

Some help for Mike

There have been several threads regarding shop construction and layout with many submitting pictures. Can anyone recall and identify these to help Mike ( and I would like to see some of them again too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    The most efficient use of building materials is to build in multiples of 4. I would go 24x32 if you can. You will need that extra 2' anyway!
    Actually this isnt really true. Efficient dimensions can be multiples of whatever framing spacing you are going to use. There is nothing saying you have to have your walls fit multiples of 4' or 8' sheets. You can have 16"o/c, 24"o/c, 19.2" o/c framing all work out with little waste at lengths that don't divide evenly by 4. The wall length just has to land on a multiple of that spacing. Your off-cuts will simply wrap around the building as long as you frame for it.

After that, you have to remember that you are only going to be efficient on one face of the wall. Lay out your building for perfect fit on the exterior and you waste on the interior and vice versa.

We go through this a lot with homeowners who want to do the drywall themselves. They of course want us to frame the interior spaces to work out to full sheets because they think its saving them. Then you lose on the exterior. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

What we tell our customers, is go for the size you want and then make slight tweaks to maximize material efficiency.

Mark

Mike: exactly where are you located? If there is a Woodcraft nearby, I suggest that you visit the store and take a woodworking class or two. The Woodcraft closest to me has some very basic courses that you might find of some help.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Stores/Default.aspx

I don’t think that Rockler offers classes, but a local store might be able to give you some leads:
    http://www.rockler.com/retail/retail.cfm

If there is a not a Woodcraft or some other wood store offering classes near by, check the local adult education programs. Might be a good way to determine if you really want to spend the money and set up a shop as well as obtain some woodworking experience for very little cash outlay.

Hi ray,
    I live in Mississippi right on the border line of TN..And yes i want to do woodwork just got to get to know more about it i guess before i start buying the tools needed and so i can figure out how i want to do my shop...

Shop Tours & my 2 cents

Mike, here are few shop tours here at the Creek that I have found inspirational. Numbers are for reference purposes only:

1. Terry Hatfield's Shop: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Shop+Tour+Part

2. John Keeton: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...82372#poststop

3. Matt Meiser: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...86549#poststop

4. Jim O'Dell's Coolmeadow Shop Creation: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=coolmeadow

5. Workshop Island Video Tour: http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=23974

6. Shop Tours at the Wood Whisperer: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/category/shop-tours/

7. Bob Reifer's Barn Saved Near Philly: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132689

There are many other great shop tours here at the creek and elsewhere. These are just a few that I've recently viewed.

Personally, if you are going from not having done much woodworking to wanting to design, build and stock your perfect shop, I can see where you might be a bit overwhelmed. I encourage you to take a bit of time researching a few shops. And then do some basic design for your building - figure out how you are going to heat & cool it. I'm in the camp that likes windows in my shop - I love sun light. I've read a number of advocates for putting windows on the north and east facing walls to avoid harsh direct sunlight. If you go with sky lights, you may want to consider those on the north or east slopes or west slopes only.

If the building truly is to be dedicated to woodworking, I think 24x32 is a great size. Run at least 100 amp service to the building with a main panel that can support 16-20 circuits. Wire for both 110 and 220 outlets. Have one large doorway, not necessarily an overhead door, for unloading materials and moving finished projects out of the shop. A modest overhang over your main service door is nice to have.

As far as Grizzly Tools go, there are many here who own them, and love them. Grizzly tablesaws have consistently received good reviews in various woodworking magazines. For a DC unit, check out the clearvue cyclone. Also, you don't have to figure it all out up front. It would be fine to build the building, buy a tablesaw, some clamps and start building a few projects, then slowly add to the shop. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Mike, I have a 24x30 shop. I wanted all the biggest machines I could get/fit. That ended up being a 20" planer, Uni with 52" fence, 8" jointer, 14 and 18" band saws, PM90 lathe, Grizzly 1030 DC, 16" DP, Miter saw with 12' to the left and 4' to the right, 4'x4' work bench, 2' x 12' work bench, 6' x 12' finishing room, 3' x 12' wood storage, 60 gallon compressor, 12" disc/9" sanding station, downdraft table, and a 4' x 8' plywood storage table/assembly table. ALL are on mobile bases for fine tuning positioning but are ALL in permanent spots. It IS tight, but it can work.

My advice is that IF you can make it 30 x 30, I would.

I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere near me, you are welcome to come see my layout to see how I fit it all in. Is it the only way? Nope. But I made it work.
    I drink, therefore I am.