Thread: Small shop - router table or TS extension

Small shop - router table or TS extension

OK, so I want to finally mount my new router lift. The question is - where? I was originally planning on mounting it in an older router table given to me years ago. Nothing special - an OK sized top, a decent fence, but a basic metal-frame stand. I also am considering mounting it in the extension table of my TS, to save the added space of yet another roll around cart (I have very small workshop).

Extension table - seems like a 'natural fit' for a small shop, and I can build a storage cabinet under the table for all the router stuff. The downside is if I want to keep the TS and router set up for use at the same time, and also losing some space under the table for a router box.

Free standing table - flexibility in using TS and router at the same time, and customizing the cart for storage. The downside is space, and the fact that my current table is ok, but nothing over which I'd shed a tear if I got rid of it.

Any thoughts on these approaches, or different ideas? Also, for those of you who have built a lot of storage (Router table or not) into the extension wing of a TS, what impact has it had on the mobility of the TS in a mobile base?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    I started with a left wing extension. Left or right will be determined by your shop layout and workflow. Once I acquired the taste for the combined surface area, I never let it go. My current table could freestand but, it is still bolted to the tablesaw as seen in post #4 here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110392

ThanksGlenn. I thought about a similar approach, but using the router table as a TS outfeed table.

John,

I opted for the extension wing option, my shop is what is cleverly disguised as a two car garage, except we have three and they live outside year around. My saw is a PM66 with an Incra TSIII fence system (92" rails), I made custom right/left wings for the saw out of 1"x30"x68" phenolic, mounted a PC7518 with PRL lift in the right wing, this thing is heavy. If I had the space it would be nice to have free standing tables but that is not the case, I can move this with no problem (5'7" and I do not look like a football player).

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Heather,

what was your source for the 1" phenolic?

would you care to share the ballpark cost of this slab?

When my company buys Phenolic (garolite) for the fabrication of whatever. We get it through Mc MasterCarr.

McM's site is flashed based so I can't provide a direct link to the largest 1" sheet they have available (3'x4'), but lets just say buying through them most likely isn't your best option. ~$3k

UGH!! I decided on mounting it in the extension table, and was all set to start last night - until I realized just how much my table sagged in the middle (about 1/4"). All the edges are flat/coplanar...it's just the middle. There are not as many braces underneath as you would think there should be. I have an email out to SS.....it's a really nice looking table, but if it's going to have a sagging problem I'll either rethink my plans or build a replacement table..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    UGH!! I decided on mounting it in the extension table, and was all set to start last night - until I realized just how much my table sagged in the middle (about 1/4"). All the edges are flat/coplanar...it's just the middle. There are not as many braces underneath as you would think there should be. I have an email out to SS.....it's a really nice looking table, but if it's going to have a sagging problem I'll either rethink my plans or build a replacement table..
    I laminated a piece of 3/4" MDF to a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" phenolic ply (I forget which now). I cut a new extension wing out of that, used the SS leg and inboard brace, and installed my router in my new extension table. Several months later, it's sagging. It seems impossible that it would, but it will and it did.

I think the right thing to do no matter what you do is to add an additional leg to the inside of the table right next to the cross brace. On my long list of thing to do is to make another table with a proper support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Seidner View Post
    Heather,

what was your source for the 1" phenolic?

would you care to share the ballpark cost of this slab?
    Bruce,

I got the sheet from McMaster-Carr, it originally measured 72" wide X 30" deep X 1" thick before I cut to my needs. The total cost shipped was 469.21 and this was as of 3-11-2008. The actual product comes from Wisconsin Bench but they will not sell to the public, the material is intended for use as lab tables and such so you can spill pretty much anything on it. I bought a bunch of additional L brackets from WoodPecker and the slab is almost completely supported the length of the rails, where I cut the opening for the lift I ran a piece of L bracket on either side of the opening the width of the table. I plan on building a dust collection box and attaching it to the brackets with rare earth magnets to make it easy to remove.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I have a right wing extension. I bought a phenolic router table that was on sale and cut it to fit inside my rails. Definitely a great set up. Plus, when cutting small stuff I just leave the table divided in two parts by the fence. router table set up on the right, table saw set up on the left, fence in the middle. I have a small shop, so I wouldn't even consider a separate router table.

Imma Right Wing kinda guy too. No room (or inclination) to include a free-standing RT in my shop. The long right-hand extension of my TS serves to hold the JessEm lift nicely. Plenty of storage beneath the extension wing in a drawer bank made to fit that space. The TS/RT is self-contained, riding on a heavy duty mobile stand I made myself.

For those with sagging in the center of extension tables, add a stout hardwood cross brace just behind the router insert. Wedges can be used to shim the top to a slight crown. Tweak it as you wish.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!