Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cermark on Brass shell casing

These may not look like bullet casings, but -- they kinda are!
    The brass used is to plate them comes from the Norwegian Army, the shell casings used during practice shooting...
    Cermark works pretty good, but I WILL say, you need some serious wattage...

bell1.jpgbell2.jpgbell3.jpg

-- My 40w LS900 would give me varied results, and usually the Cermark wasn't fused very well.
    --that's part of the reason for the clearcoat. (the other part is, it looks good!)

Enter my 80w Triumph, and I've had no problem with Cermark fusing. The Triumph did these bells.
    Focus can be an issue because power is an issue...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Bumping an old thread... I need help. I have been reading up and I'm still having issues. I just ran my last test run and I can still scrap the CerMark off. 30w Explorer II. I have sanded the Brass down, I'm 98% sure there is nothing on it. This was 100% power and the speed was at 2. I have done stainless Steel with 90%/25 speed and no issues. Would that Cold Galvanizing spray work any different? I'll upload a photo as soon as I can get it off my phone.

Thank you
    AJ
    GCC Explorer II 30w Laser - I make a lot of show car parts
    Shop Sabre IS510 - CNC Router - Learning

Brass Sample

This is the Piece I'm trying to mark.
    20190318_164136.jpg

Hey Al
    I haven't used that process since 2010 when I posted it. I wish I could give you some additional insite but I don't have any. I would tell you to just give it a try. The cold galvanize spray isn't terrably expensive, and it realy did do a good job for me.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

30 watts won't reliably fuse Cermark to brass. I have the same machine you have (only older), it won't do the cowbells above. My 40 watt machine will, but so slowly that it's counterproductive. My LS100's tube tested at 47 watts, it does pretty good. My 80 watt Chinese machine fuses Cermark to brass like gangbusters. With brass, it's a power thing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Walker View Post
    Hey Al
    I haven't used that process since 2010 when I posted it. I wish I could give you some additional insite but I don't have any. I would tell you to just give it a try. The cold galvanize spray isn't terrably expensive, and it realy did do a good job for me.

Randy Walker
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    30 watts won't reliably fuse Cermark to brass. I have the same machine you have (only older), it won't do the cowbells above. My 40 watt machine will, but so slowly that it's counterproductive. My LS100's tube tested at 47 watts, it does pretty good. My 80 watt Chinese machine fuses Cermark to brass like gangbusters. With brass, it's a power thing...
    Thank you. Think the galvanized spray will work? Or just slap it on the cnc and use the drag bit?

Yes power is my biggest problem too. When I do any of these chemical marking compounds I must run sllloooowwww, like below 5% speed and at 1000ppi. I try to steer away from that kind of work if I can.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Ditto on the laser power on Brass. 30W won't do it. You *may* be able to vector the snot out of it to fuse better...YMMV
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01