Thread: Swanson Speed Square

Swanson Speed Square

Thinking of getting one and wondered if you think the swanson SS is accurate enough for fine working. Thanks

Mike

Hmmmmm.

Good question.

Though I own a Swanson, I guess I never though to use it for things like machine setup ... because ... a good try square, or an engineering/machinist's square ... can be had relatively cheaply, and takes away any thought I have about whether "square" is "square enough."

I was first introduced to the Swanson Speed Square 33 years ago when I was working part time for a contractor helping him build houses. It is indespensible in the construction trade but..

while it's a great framing tool but IMHO I wouldn't use it for building cabinets, furniture etc. JMHO
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Framing yes, china hutch no. I have three different ones and they come out when I am framing a form for pavers, building a temporary 2x4 wall or maybe knocking together a rough lean-to for LOML's dogs to shade in. For furniture making, I'd put that money toward a more appropriate tool. JMHO.

I use various brands and styles of speed squares nearly everyday in various construction trades, but would never use one for more than rough carpentry and framing.

I guess a guy could check one, and if lucky it may be precision enough for furniture. One drawback might be the slightly eased edges, which may reduce the ability to mark sharp lines or see out of square with machine setups. Also, the gigantic graduation marks are only good for rough measuring.

I guess I will stick to my two combo squares in the shop--one cheap one and one starret.

-Steve

That's what I thought. I've seen and read that some people use them for set ups and for squaring up cases and such. Even on Swansons web site they show them milling the edges square with a what I assume is a cnc machine. Thanks for confirming that

Mike

I use a big one for squaring up my Festool rail on a panel. Works great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Handrinos View Post
    Thinking of getting one and wondered if you think the swanson SS is accurate enough for fine working. Thanks
    I've got a speed square made by Empire. The interior lip isn't really flat, so it doesn't register perfectly square. Not sure if it is the brand or just this one. You can check before buying (bring a square piece of plywood and draw one perpendicular line, then flip the square and draw a second... double-check that they are parallel)

I don't use my speed square much:
    - for good woodworking, I have good double-square and combination square.
    - for big stuff, I have a pretty good framing square
    - for quick circ saw crosscuts, I have a short plywood guide.

Matt

I have an Empire speed square. I've checked it against a drafting triangle and drawn 2 parallel lines perpendicular to a straight edge of sheet goods. It seems pretty doggone good. The measuring marks are pretty coarse, I've never checked their accuracy. Swanson & Empire are both made in the U.S.A. presumably on CNC equipment so it seems like accuracy would be a function of the accuracy & repeatability of the production machinery. Not much craftsmanship involved beyond machine setup.

When I was shopping for a framing square at a borg I found what looked to be a flat steel member and stood framing squares up "back to back". I just kept trying combinations until I found two that were as close to perfect as I could fine. I figure the odds of having 2 squares with exactly complimentary errors were pretty slim so they were probably pretty close to square. The same procedure should work for speed squares. That, or take a plastic drafting square. At least for woodworking, the question becomes how close is close enough?

Somewhat O.T.-- I had a positive customer service experience with Swanson. I have a 6" combo square whose part that holds the blade to the head broke. I called their 800 # and spoke with a lady who immediately knew what I was talking about and said she'd mail out a replacement. 3 days later here is was. No voice mail trees, native english-speaking employee. I wrote a letter to the CEO relating my positive experience. I figure if business people know there's value in having good customer service, they won't be in such a hurry to outsource or offshore it. Got a nice letter back from the CEO saying they intend to continue with domestic production and support. How refreshing.

I've got more squares than I thought, but my "go to" for set up work is a drafting square. Big enough to register on most all needs. If I need a smaller one, I go to my 6" Starrett.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

A friend of mine owned a machine shop. Years ago I took my cast aluminum speed square and had him machine the edge to make it perfectly square. That I carry in the shop. However, when setting up machines I still pull down the plastic drafting square. It is easier to see the edges on.
    Wood'N'Scout

Been using the speed square for nearly 40 years. Have several. All match the squareness of higher quality squares. Am I lucky to have accurate ones? I don't know. Do they work for me? Yes. Precision is about making things fit. If your tool helps you do that it's a good tool.