Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screws in plastic, I thought everyone know

Screws in plastic, I thought everyone know

I am sure that everyone here knows but just in case.....

I was helping a friend install a new switch in his cordless drill and when we started putting it back together I was ask why was I turning the screws backwards first.

If you are putting screws back into plastic if you apply a small a mount of down pressure as you turn the screw backward you will feel it pop, at that point you start turning the screw in.

By doing this you do not mess up the threads in the plastic because you are in the same thread channel that the screw was in to start.

Well, uh....no, I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense. Nice.

Bill, I always wondered what that "Pop" was!...Now I know! ;-)
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Bill,

It works with soft metals too. It helps prevent cross-threading
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-20-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yeah, I thought that was standard fare also. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Whether it is plastic, metal, or wood, I always try to chase the original threads.

In other words, you turn the screw backward to until the beginning of the screw threads line up with the mating hole threads. I think it's just as important with metal to avoid stripping threads as well. One of the basics that doesn't hurt to reiterate!

Yup, one of those things passed down from father to son, like "Righty tighty, lefty loosy."

Anyone know the mnemonic for resistor color bands?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-21-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    In other words, you turn the screw backward to until the beginning of the screw threads line up with the mating hole threads. I think it's just as important with metal to avoid stripping threads as well. One of the basics that doesn't hurt to reiterate!
    You know, I think it's one of those things you just kind of do and never think about. After reading this thread, I played with a nut and bolt tonight just to see, and it turns out that I do this absolutely without thinking about it or even realizing that I'm doing it. I don't normally do it with screws going into plastic but I seem to do it with everything else. It's funny that when Bill mentioned it, it seemed like a complete revelation to me, but my fingers seem to know what to do even if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Yup, one of those things passed down from father to son, like "Righty tighty, lefty loosy."
    I never saw how that was helpful - whichever way you turn it, there's always a spot that moves right and another that moves left.

I didn't know that. I've done it by chance a few times. Even spun it around mostly forwards until I felt it "catch" mostly in metal. If you use your fingers as your eyes, you can feel it catch as the threads sort of bounce into the lined up position. But I must admit, backwards in wood (hardness would matter I think) or plastic would work better. Absolutely, from now on...

I didn't know that ... but I always did it with any threaded fastener.

I guess my father did teach me something when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bill,

It works with soft metals too. It helps prevent cross-threading
    +1

I do it all the time just to find the threads.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post

Anyone know the mnemonic for resistor color bands?
    Yes, but the language is a little off color. PM me if you actually want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Yes, but the language is a little off color. PM me if you actually want it.
    I removed his link to it because it's not appropriate for this site. I suspect he's familiar with it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....