Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand planes

Hand planing

A really good DVD is Chris Schwarz's Handplane Basics: A better way to use bench planes. Available from Lie-Nielsen. It's the best $25 you'll spend. Shows how to chose, sharpen and use the three basic categories of planes.
    [IMG]file:///Users/fitzsimk/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202010-11-22%20at%208.02.16%20AM.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Aaron,

Hopefully you will find hand planes to be an enjoyable trip down the slippery slop to Neanderhood.
    Back on my uncle's farm, I had a trip down the slippery slop in the pigpen. It wasn't that enjoyable, though.

The new Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops issue has a lengthy and good article on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    Back on my uncle's farm, I had a trip down the slippery slop in the pigpen. It wasn't that enjoyable, though.
    Farm nostalgia is always better when someone else is recounting the experience and did all of that work for little money.

People who yearn for the old days probably never filled a hay barn without an elevator, shoveled poop by hand, or snapped corn heads off of stalks manually.

(or did any of the mutiple things that could get you killed in a second, like running around on steep pitch tin roofs making repairs while wearing no harness).

Woodworking nostalgia is so much nicer of a slope

Aaron,

You may want to check out the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild.

http://www.mnwwg.org/

I agree with going to Rockler (I thought they had a Maplewood store) or Woodcraft and ask a few questions. They can give you advise on what stones to buy and how to use them.

Your local library will have books on the subject too.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Farm nostalgia is always better when someone else is recounting the experience and did all of that work for little money.
    You left out feeding and watering the stock on mornings cold enough that you can only imagine what your fingers and toes feel like.