Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with buying Powermatic tools

Help with buying Powermatic tools

Hey Everyone,
    I am brand new to this forum, I have been reading the posts on here for some time and decided to join because I enjoy it so much. I am just starting to acquire my woodworking equipment. I wanted opinions on how much you would offer for a powermatic drill press and bandsaw. This is what the guy has:
    "I have a brand new in box Powermatic 1140F 14'' drill press that is 3/4 horsepower. Brand new I paid $1100. The box has NEVER been opened.

I also have a brand new Powermatic 14'' band saw that is also 3/4 horsepower. Its a model 43. I'd want $800 for that as well, and paid $1200 for it. Its never been used.

I was going to start a fabrication business, however looks like I'll be moving soon and these need to go. I'm taking a big loss on these as it is, so no low ball offers! Please email me, and I will get back to you ASAP.

Make me an offer, I need these gone and will be selling them to a woodworking shop soon."

The drill press is still in the box and the band saw is out of the box but never put together. I think his asking price of $800 each is too high, I was thinking $800 for the pair, am I being realistic? Too high? too low? Thanks everyone.

You might want to edit your profile and put where you are located. Its hard to make an offer on an item when you dont know what part of the country its located in.

Thanks just did I am in the denver area of colorado

I don't know anything about the drill press, but as far as bandsaws go, is it a woodworking bandsaw?

I don't think you want to approach anyone with $800 for a 3/4th horsepower bandsaw. It's hard to say much without knowing what he's talking about, though.

If it's a fixed saw (doesn't take a riser), and it's older, I wouldn't bother with it. With that power output, it probably won't have much resaw height, and there are tons of good used options in foreign bandsaws in that price range.

Delta 14" bandsaws go for $200 around here fairly often. The guy who just bought my TS told me he paid $150 for one last week, in good shape.

A quick google of powermatic 1140F finds three for sale with prices of $100-$250.

There's no reason to pay that much for a 14" DP.

I think you are plenty generous to offer $800 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    You might want to edit your profile and put where you are located. Its hard to make an offer on an item when you dont know what part of the country its located in.
    The "make me an offer" part is still quoting from the advertisement he is inquiring about I think.

There have been numerous posts regarding some questionable quality issues from Powermatic lately. Personally, I would feel better if I could see the stuff in action. If it were Powermatic gear from 10 years ago and was reasonably priced, I would buy it sight unseen... not today sadly.

You should be easily able to find prices on comparable used gear via Google for comparison.
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 11-19-2010 at 1:14 PM.

The guy says he bought them about 10years ago just never used them. are the grizzly drills presses and bandsaws ok?

personally I would never pay more that 50% of new for a used tool - even if it was in the factory box.

I bought a 12" delta turret RAS that was still in the factory box after a decade sitting in this guy's garage - it was EXACTLY what I was looking for, he bought it a decade ago for $1,800 and current price is ~ $2,800 - I got it for $800 and to me that was TOP dollar.

I think your price of 800 for both (34% of new) might be on the low side for NIB stuff if the tools are exactly what you want but might make sense if you were looking for something bigger/smaller/different; but at that price you would HAVE go for this deal.

No matter though if the seller thinks he can get 66-72% of new and won't budge you are not likely to strike a deal. No harm in making an offer - I usually just tell them "this XXX$ is what it is worth to me - good luck trying to sell at YYY$ - wish you the best. If that does not work for you & you want to sell at XXX$ here is my number". If said politely sellers are usually cool & sometimes you get a call later asking "that XXX$ price still OK with you?"

Hi Jonathan,
    I'm up in Fort Collins, so I've been looking at that ad for awhile. It's come and gone on CL several times over the last few months. As you know, he's asking WAY too much for those tools. I agree with previous posters that you are too generous even with an $800 offer for both. I would offer $600 for both. But this guy is clearly banking on finding someone who is blindly enamoured of the Powermatic name, so he's unlikely to budge from his price. Pass up this deal and keep looking--you'll find way better deals than this. I outfitted my entire shop with great CL deals in just under a year of searching. Have fun with it and don't feel rushed!
    Cheers,
    Chris

The seller sounds like an idiot. I'd pass. The dead giveaway is when he is telling you how much he paid X years ago. Totally irrelevant piece of information. "He's taking a big loss." Whatever - the big loss occurred when he bought it and didn't use it.

Blog Entries
    Didn't bother looking up the bandsaw, but the drill press began production over 20 years ago (back when PM had higher QC and wasn't owned by Walter Meiher). It's a Taiwanese-built unit. I think $800 for both is more than fair, especially considering you can get new 14" DPs in the $500 range, a bit more for a new BS (3/4 HP is a bit low for a BS if you want to cut anything hard).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hey thanks everyone for your advice. I think I am leaning away from making an offer and might look into buying new grizzly's. Any thoughts on those?

i have a grizzly bandsaw and like it - would buy it again

fine woodworking this month had it as the best saw overall

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Sestrich View Post
    Hey thanks everyone for your advice. I think I am leaning away from making an offer and might look into buying new grizzly's. Any thoughts on those?
    I have a Grizzly Polar Bear bandsaw, and it is a world apart from the 14" cast iron saw it replaced. Every time I even look at it I smile.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, this sounds like a walk-away to me. I wouldn't pay top dollar for decade old tools even if they haven't been used. A 14" DP in decent shape used shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. $800 will buy a lot more bandsaw than he is selling as well. (Another happy Grizzly G0513X owner here).