Thread: Rusty Table Top

Rusty Table Top

Ive got a jointer recently, but it has been out in the weather, and the machined surfaces of the table are rusty. What is a good way to clean off the table surface?

Some people swear by Evaporust.

Some people like WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad.

Some people put the Scotchbrite pad under their random orbital sander, reducing the amount of elbow grease.

But I'd search the forum. There are LOTS of threads about removing rust from machine tops.

You could start .... here.

Good luck !

3. Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Holm View Post
    Ive got a jointer recently, but it has been out in the weather, and the machined surfaces of the table are rusty. What is a good way to clean off the table surface?
    I just rehabbed a table saw that had some surface rust. A bunch of razor blades and a holder is a great start.

for really rusty parts, look into 'electrolysis' or setting up a 'spooge tank'. it sounds like a big hassle, but it's not. It also gets your parts cleaner than most other methods. I made my way here from owwm.org and found a ton of helpful information on rust removal there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josef Brandauer View Post
    I just rehabbed a table saw that had some surface rust. A bunch of razor blades and a holder is a great start.

for really rusty parts, look into 'electrolysis' or setting up a 'spooge tank'. it sounds like a big hassle, but it's not. It also gets your parts cleaner than most other methods. I made my way here from owwm.org and found a ton of helpful information on rust removal there.
    Good old phosphoric acid works well, in the form of naval jelly, or a similar product, might take two or so applications but gets down to the metal. Just look for "contains phosphoric acid" somewhere on the label.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

many choices

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Holm View Post
    Naval jelly but use gloves it will get you!

If you want to do non toxic vasoline will remove a lot of the top stuff and kerosene and steelwool will get the rest.

This recent thread discusses the many options available:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=151734

i used top saver and varying levels of abrasive scotch brite type pads. when i got my 18" jet off CL, it looked like this:

after top saver and wax, it looks like this:

how'd it work?
    Last edited by Joseph Tarantino; 11-19-2010 at 2:55 PM.