Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where do i start?

CNC build

I went with lead screws 1/2" 8-8 start on X & Y 1/2" 10-5 start on Z.

And yes, anyone deciding on a build they should spend some time researching. They may find out that going with a Stinger or other commercial CNC maybe a better option for them.
    Epilog mini 24, 4x4 hybrid CNC, Aspire, Cut 3D, and lots of wood working equipment.

"Honastly I think one has to read all the forums for 6 months to a year before they start to build."

i did this before even purchasing my first

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    No where did I say a woodworker could not build Joes CNC. I said I just would not recomend it as a first cnc. I will probably build one since I have the plans and about 90% of the 8020 material.

What I have a problem with is that there is no way to know what you are getting until you spend the $100.
    there is a thread on CNCZone that has 112 pages in it : cnczone.com/forums/joes_cnc_model_2006/38220-joes_cnc_4x4_hybrid.html

I think that most of the people joining/building somehow hear about the 4x4 either hear or CNCZone and end up browsing that thread and see the development and where it is now. There are plenty of people on that forum that have this as their first build. The drawings are very good and the support that the members offer is great.

The biggest thing that you gain from a previous build before building a Joe's is the confidence in setting up Mach3 or whatever your control software should be. So many people don't go through all of the video tutorials and print the pdf manual and read it and understand the operation of the software. You need to see not only how to run the control software - but what the software is capable of. Knowing what the software my be capable of allows you to ask questions concerning it use or issues you may be having.

As far as having 90% of the 8020 - you only need 3 sticks of it - so I can see how a person needs all 3 pieces, 2 pieces, or 1 more piece to complete a build - but not 10%

Michael - you have a great looking machine and look forward to your new site and some more documentation of the build.

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

The correct thing to say was I have 250% of the 8020 stuff. However now that I have done 5 of my own builds I will most likly design my own. Now that I have done two builds with V bearings think I will do something much different for my X and Y.

I was also looking at a double Y rail similar to the MechMate.

Has anyone use rails like these?
    http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...tegory_Code=LM

They are fully supported

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    I just spent about 6 hours there and it did find the answer to some of the questions. Now I remember why I chose not to go that route.

Yes you do need to Weld. That’s going to put off a lot of woodworkers.
    Yes you do need to cut quite a bit of steel. The only way I could do that with my current tools would be with my Reciprocating saw or purchase something else.

I doubt I could build one for $6K as there are no concise instructions just plans and open discussions that are hard to follow as I don’t understand some of the metal working terminology.

I just don’t think it an ideal stating point for a first time CNC builder. Especially a woodworker.
    Only 6 hrs....Michael do the forum justice as there thousands of posts there dating back to 06

Read, reread, then do it again. Then again!

The info posted alone by Mike Richards on electronics is a gold mine!

On that forum.....there are stockbrokers, bankers and even the simple minded woodworkers who have built that machine...guys from around the world who have built this machine as their FIRST experience into CNC!

The design/plans were first posted in 2006...now the net has a ton of info on anything...

Outsource the cutting/welding....maybe it all comes down to what you want to challange yourself with.

Just my 2 centavos
    Last edited by Gene Crain; 11-22-2010 at 8:31 PM.

Please. All I wanted to know about the MechMAte build was how much metal working. That is basic to the build. Yet I had to dig through the forums just to get that.

When a group, company or individual is selling plans for a CNC, is it too much to display some basic information so a decision can be made and one can move on to evaluate the next.

They have a website for goodness sakes. Yet they make you dig through posts of other builders to glean the information needed to even start evauate the basics. Im sorry thats just bad buisness.

No mater how good the machine build is, the fact that I have to dig through 50 build logs to answer basic questions that should be posted on a section of the website tells me one of three things.

1. They dont want me to get the answeres too easily in hopes that by purchasing the plans I will get them.
    2. The individuals runnign the site are lazy.
    3. They are clueless.

Please tell me as I dont understand. I suspect its jue lazyness. Its easy to slap a forum up and let others answer questions for you. But come on.

Even after I read what I did I still dont know how much welding.

Its up to us to start asking for a little higher standards. It would be one thing if the plans are free but as soon as they start charging for the plans we should start expecting more. I do and will continue to do so.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 11-22-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Michael...
    I am going to take a stab at this. Since you are on your 5th build, I assume that you know about the elctronics, that the motion products bolt on, that they need to be wired.

Since the Mechmate frame is 100% steel, you can assume that it is 100% welded. I am sure there are some bolts also. Just by nature of its inception the MM is predominately welded. Its a long story and I am not going to get into it, but the MM is an evolvement of the ShopBot PRT. The lack of both structural and torsional rigidity spawned the "all welded" gantry. Since then both ShopBot and Mechmate have made many improvements.

So, since you are looking at a 100% welded table frame and Gantry, and I assume that you are looking at them, as even a blind ol woodworker like myself can see the difference between a welded or bolted joint. Just like I can tell the difference between a glued and clamped joint and one that has screws in it.

The MM forum has a picure of every imaginable part and a good number of improvements/variations of them. You should be able to build from the pics.

By the way..... they dont give you the plans and instructions before you pay because....... Oh yea, then you would have no need to pay.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Actualy after reading the MM forums for 6 hours I did not get the impression at all that it was 100% weld. As a matter of fact in several sections it says there is no critcal welding.

Now Gary I would like to ask you where in any of my posts did I say that I wanted the plans before I paid for them?

a nod is a good as a wink to a blind horse!!

all of the laser cut parts - http://www.cvsupply.com/servlet/the-...t-Parts/Detail

seems like a pretty good deal IMHO
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can. I own the site.

The table can be bolted together is some parts. Some choose to weld up the main beams and legs then bolt the cross members on. Mine is like this and is very rigid. It can also be taken apart to be moved if needed.

I understnd about the supporting info around the plans. I am currently working to enhance the site to allow more info in the webpages to assist those that have not seen the plans in deciding to buy them.

PM me here or join the MM group and PM me their. MetalHead is my user ID over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ray View Post
    I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can. I own the site.

The table can be bolted together is some parts. Some choose to weld up the main beams and legs then bolt the cross members on. Mine is like this and is very rigid. It can also be taken apart to be moved if needed.

I understnd about the supporting info around the plans. I am currently working to enhance the site to allow more info in the webpages to assist those that have not seen the plans in deciding to buy them.

PM me here or join the MM group and PM me their. MetalHead is my user ID over there.

Thank you.

With a build as good as yours I think that more information on the main website would sway more builders. Especialy different the build options.As far as I am conserned A build like this is the final goal for all us DIY builders.

Also on "Rob Writes" post. I had not read enoguh to kwno that some metal had to be laser cut. If so a list of cut options and possible a list of source that would sell the cut pieced would also help.

Mike. You have to read this thread again from the first post to the last.

Sorry its my fault things got kind of off topic. I just kind of got carried away when someone asks a question and he is told to go somewhere else.

So I stated some of my concerns about CNC zone and alike. In the past I rarely used this particular cnc form as it had very little activity and seemed to be geared tword pros or bigger cnc machines.

The only way to get a little more activity is to NOT push the beginners away but instead to try and answer thier questions.

Its just my way not to lay down and play dead. I call things as I see them. If we all do that then things will get better.