Thread: Robert Sorby Beading Tool

Robert Sorby Beading Tool

Do any of you have one of these Robert Sorby Beading Tools and are they worth the money?

Nope,and wondering the same thing.

I have a couple of them. They work well. They save a lot of time if you have a lot of beads to make. I give them a thumbs up.

That said, it isn't a difficult tool to make yourself if you are inclined to go that route.

This tool is a scraper. There are similar tools (several threads on here about them) that act with more of a cutting action than a scraping action. Those may be an advantage in some situations with woods that are likely to tear out.

I have the smallest one and love it for making small beads.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have a set of 5 and they do a good job. However, now that I've grown proficient at using a skew - I don't use them anymore. If interested, shoot me a PM and we can work something out perhaps?

Mike

I had some beading tools, but did not have a use for them at the time and sold them. As I recall they were not Sorby.

However, recently, Jim Adkins "Basket Illusions" did a demo at our club on his basketry technique.

Jim uses D-Way beading tools, and passed a few around for us to look at. They were impressive, as was his use of them. He indicated that he could use one longer without sharpening than anything he had found. He also used them unhandled and liked that better. They are used with the flute down on the toolrest.

Blog Entries

Beading Tool

I have two or three Sorbys and like them as my skill with a skew does not overflow with confidence. If your wood tends to tear at those two spots 180 degrees across use light pressure, the grained specie like Oak, Walnut, Cocobolo, etc are the worst
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

I have the set of 5 and use them fairly often... The skew and I do NOT get along, so this is a good, consistent means of getting a uniform bead.
    Change One Thing

John, how does he add the color, airbrush?

Rob, I was considering the same tool a few months ago, wound up making a few tools myself, and they work pretty good. Check this thread on how-to. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1455779&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    John, how does he add the color, airbrush?
    Ray, I will email you some info.