Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Grand to "burn" er... turn

3 Grand to "burn" er... turn

If y'all had a ballpark area of $3000 to spend just on a lathe (no tools, just the machine) what would you do? I've been looking at the DVR, and the powermatic in that price range... drooling over the Oneways, and Robust lathes but they are just a bit over what I can "justify" I'm not limited to those choices but I want to hear from yous guys... I am primarily interested in Hollow forms. Bowls as a second... and spindles at the bottom of the list.

I have a small shop, there is only room for one Lathe, no Midi's or mini's. It needs to be a "keeper" and something that will be very difficult to outgrow. I've watched Craigslist for well over 18 months, and it just ain't gonna happen round here... so new it is.

Help me choose... Please

At $3000 tops, the Powermatic (new) isnt going to be on the list. I would concider bumping just a bit for the Powermatic or looking at the biggest Jet you could get for the $3000.

The key will be a balance in: power, weight, varible speed, max turning diameter.

I turn on a $899 (on sale) Nova 1624 and am thinking about an upgrade next year. My thing is that now that I have conformed that this turning thing is for me, I dont want to upgrade but one more time. I admit looking seriously at Robust! That American Beauty is a heck of a lathe!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

3 Grand to "burn" er... turn

Rick,
    if I had $3k to spend ,a 3520 would be my only target.Seems to me that recently Toolnut or somewhere else was quoting right at $3000 and might still be wanting to sell some.The other motivator would be the inevitable 1st of the year price increases.Good Shopping!
    Greg

The 3520b powermatic is now onsale through CraftSupply for $3299 now just got one.Regular list is at least 3799. Had (still have) a Nova3000DVRxp-16" swing. According to some source here in the sawmill creek forum-Nova is bring out something comprable to the Powermatic 3520-size and price. Want to buy my old one? Ed

Blog Entries
    PM Monster on sale for $3199 at toolsplus, probably others.

I would see what toolnut can do for you.

Good luck with it.

I've had the 3520B for almost a year now. I got it on sale from Tool Nut (great service) and have been 100% happy with the decision. Good Luck in your quest.

Don't give up on the monster!

I just got mine fron Osolnik Machnery. They are very familiar with the Mustard Mosnter.

I picked the monster because of its compact footprint. (24"x50"). The sliding head stock has made my bowl hollowing much more comfortable. But, the sheer mass of all that cast iron is what impressed me the most. My turning is now smoother and quieter than I thought possible.

Good luck with your lathe hunt!

Cheers,

8. For the money, you probably won't find a better one than the Powermatic 3520b, but I will say that I really like my Grizzly G0698, for half of that, and I have turned on both..............

The Mustard has the reputation, and a good warranty, but performance wise, I have seen just as good with my Grizzly G0698............

that being said, If I were going to buy today and had enough for the PM 3520b, I would probably go with that myself.......simply as it is heavier, and has a longer warranty and has a 2" more capacity in swing, but 13" less between centers.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

yep go for the pm, I bought it from toolnut for around 2900$ and that came WITH the 18" extension.

I got my PM 3520b from Toolnut, and I've been very happy with it. I would definitely check with them. I've turned on a Oneway, and I didn't feel the price was justified... It's a fine lathe, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money for one with the capacity of my PM. I've never used the Jet, Grizzly, or Nova lathes.

I'd recommend a tail stock swingaway if you want to do hollowing... It helps a lot with the adding/removing a steady rest and hollowing rig. That my 2 bits

I could get a 3520 for your price... call me this week because they are on sale. Doug 440-241-6360

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    At $3000 tops, the Powermatic (new) isnt going to be on the list.
    Actually, last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the 3520 could be had for just under $3000 from ToolNut. Worth a phone call at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    Actually, last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the 3520 could be had for just under $3000 from ToolNut. Worth a phone call at the very least.
    Wow, I stand corrected. Thats a good price on that lathe.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The DVR is on sale until the end of the month for $1699.00. Based on your available cash that leaves plenty of room for extras...

If you are up to waiting, the Kiwi's are coming out with a larger capacity DVR but it won't be until mid-2011. Not sure of the price tag or the details so it maybe a wait for nothing for what you want to do.

If I was in your shoes and looking to buy now, I would be grabbing a DVR while it is on sale plus a set of their cast iron legs and an extension. That still keeps a few hundred in your pocket for chucks, faceplates, tools etc etc.