Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting multiple sheets of paper / cardstock?

Cutting multiple sheets of paper / cardstock?

Hi all - Been lurking/reading/learning for a while and recently purchased an Epilog Helix 30w which I've been having a ton of fun with :]

Tried to search the forum for info about cutting through multiple sheets of paper and/or cardstock but couldn't find much - Anyone have experience with hitting 2 or more sheets at once to cut out some basic shapes? If so I'd like to hear tips and tricks regarding how to get clean cuts and just how many sheets people have been able to do - or can you really only do 1 sheet at a time successfully?

Thanks in advance! Oh and a special shout-out to Dee who helped me with some exhaust issues - MUCH appreciated! It's been smooth sailing so far

Blog Entries
    For one thing, you won't be able to rely on the exhaust to vacuum seal anything but the bottom sheet to the vector table. You may (or may no) need to separate multiple sheets with sacrificial sheets, like wax paper, and the lower on the stack a sheet is the heavier the abuse it will take. I've successfully done two sheets without a problem, three in a pinch, but after that it's dicey, at best.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wouldn't recommend cutting multiple sheets of paper at a time. First time I tried it I had to get the fire extinguisher
    45w Epilog Lengend 36EXT, 20w Epilog Fibermark, Corel x5, and SolidWorks 2011 using Windows 7.

dang. ok. thanks to you both for the advice! have a good one.

I have done it with cardstock and construction paper, as Chris said thinner paper will catch fire. For what I do I make a 1/16" or 1/8" acrylic
    template in the shape of what I am cutting. That keeps the outside waste material from flying about, and helps keep the cut pieces in place
    as it goes to the next place to cut. You do have to stand and watch it the whole time and be ready to lift the lid, with a water mister in hand
    in case a piece does fly up and catch fire, but I have been able to do as many as 6 construction paper at a time and make several hundred shapes with only one or two panic stops using this method.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

tends to trap smoke in the interior layers, not good for light colors.
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

joe - thanks for the tips; much appreciated!

david - good to know. we are probably going to use black cardstock so perhaps it will work out.

cheers!

paper, cardboard, cardstock

Cut it all the time. My 75 watt uses 20s, 20p, 500freq. I load about 25 sheets of paper or 15 sheets of cardstock so it doesn't cut all the way through.
    I use coins to hold down the pieces so they don't fly in to the laser beam from the air flow. If you have enough weight you don't get the charring with the exception of the top piece. You can lower the frequency and make perforated cuts too.
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

AWESOME to hear - thanks Duane! appreciate you posting your settings, too!

We just finish one project - laser cutting up to 25 sheets of 120 grms/sq.m paper with adding inert gase. Very good result, no yellowing/burning at all. We have used argone as it was availbale for tests in small volumes (just 4 liters). For commercial use customer have purchased compressed CO2.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

you may want to make a frame it hold the paper in place.

If you have a steel table then magnets should do.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

hi Viktor - thanks for the suggestion - though I'm not sure what you mean by using 'inert gase' or argone to assist with cutting the paper - could you elaborate a bit?

Martin - thanks, good idea - not sure if my table is steel but i believe it might be! will try it out - thanks again everyone!!

Im interested in knowing more about using the gasses to prevent flaming yellowing or burning as well. If the paper is clamped in a jig, wouldn't it be just like cutting wood? How fast can you cut through 1/4 in wood?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Pease View Post
    How fast can you cut through 1/4 in wood?
    How powerful of a laser do you have? Is it plywood? What's the quality of the glue used to laminate it?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have not purchased the laser yet, trying to determine the power we need. We want to cut through up to a 1/4 in stack of paper. I see that a couple of people had success cutting stacks of paper on this thread. I am trying to gauge the speed of cutting through multiple sheets of paper (clamped together) therefore the wood question. We are thinking a laser of around 100W +-