Thread: Opinions on donating a system

Opinions on donating a system

I have 3 lasers and seldom have them all running at once (3 years?) and am thinking of donating one to the local school industrial arts program. Yeah I know, WOW, however I must state the facts. The machine I'm willing to donate is 15 years old and still runs like new.....however it is stuck in WIN 98 land so I'll be throwing in a 'puter with CD 10. Has anyone out there donated to a local school anything of "value" ? Out here in the boondocks of South Dakota I can't think of anything on the down side that could be a future pitfall for me. Heck, they still play cowboys and indians here and "mock shoot" at each other in elementary class recess!!!

Well, think about it and let me know your thoughts.

Bruce

Bruce,

First the resale value of a 15 year old system is not that much. By donating it to a school will allow you to write off X amount as a charitable contribution. Probably more than what you would get to sell the system.

They will not be your competition however it could create future competition.

If you are not using it then it is loosing more value by just sitting there. I think it is a win win situation for you. Tax write off, clear up some space, and help the children of tomorrow.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I have donated a lot of signs and banners, but a laser is, after all, a dangerous machine in the hands of inexperienced students. I'd suggest that in accepting it they be required to sign a waiver absolving you from any liability, and they will follow all safety rules and instructions. Also, sure that you give them the manual. Hopefully the instructor will have strict oversight but may not have used one before.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Might be wise to identify who would take responsibility for the machine and teaching a class on it's use, and get them to promote the idea.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I am on a School Board in extreme SE Iowa which is probably as rural as you are. We currently have less than 400 students in K through 12 which makes us a very small school district. Although we would appreciate such an offer I seriously doubt if we would actually accept the laser simply because we would not have an instructor qualified to run it, let alone teach someone else how.

To be honest I would almost bet that the minute that you ask us to sign a waiver holding you harmless that it would scare the balance of the School Board to death and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The above is simply what I think that you would run into at our school. Of course your school district could be considerably different and they might welcome the gift. If you do decide to offer it to them I would suggest that you definitely start the discussion at the top (superintendent) and let him/her take it to the board if he/she so desires.

Just my $.02 worth.

Don (off to Des Moines in the morning to the IA School Board Convention)
    Pinnacle 40 watt M Series with Rotary Attachment - Corel Draw X3 - Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 - PhotoGrav 2.11 - etc.

As we all know a Laser is a complicated device that in some respects is a profession in itself. It can also open many doors to related technologies.

Our young people should be learning these technologies...and if you are willing to donate an operating laser to a school I think that is commendable.

Perhaps a more valuable donation would be that you also donate your time/expertise. Even as little as an hour a week. You teach with the laser. Let the shop instructor learn from you also.

While this will take your time from other things...by my value system if you donated and taught...not only would you be making an extraordinary contribution to our youth...but I guarantee you that you would learn and earn more from the experience than you could imagine. It's a Win/Win.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Thank You!

As a teacher using a laser, Thank you.

I would agree with Jim Coffee and say that starting an dialog and or partnership with the school would be the best start. If any gift is to be given, let it be used well. Teach an interested teacher how to use the machine and what can be done with it. After that, work with some students who have an interest.

a few years ago we acquired a fancy CNC mill that we still need to spend cash and time learning how to use!
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

8. I think this would be a good opportunity for the kids. At my daughters Junior High School they have laser and CNC in shop class. Her school is a public school. The kids seem to enjoy making things on the machines. After seeing what they make the teacher could use some lessons on what the machines are capable of.

Wil
    Epilog EXT36 60w, Corel 12, Adobe CS3, ArtCAM Pro 2010, Techno LC4896

Blog Entries
    If you're donating it, they can't make you responsible for its use, so no need for a waiver of any kind. That would be like donating a car, the new owner runs someone over, and they sue you for donating it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    ...but a laser is, after all, a dangerous machine in the hands of inexperienced students.
    Seriously?!? The key concept here is "industrial arts program": compared to a tablesaw or arc welder, a laser is about as dangerous as a butterknife.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Wow.. forget the school , seems too litiguous to me ... perhaps a better bet would be to raffle it within the sawmill community and use any funds for sawmill creek .. with the proviso it doesnt go within 50 or 100 miles of you so it can't become a potential competitor..
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

What would you be teaching them? Not much, I don't think. As someone that came from a vocational school, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have people donate their obsolete materials and machinery for us to try and learn on and use. All we ever got was high speed steel tool blanks. My first week in a real shop, I was lost and clueless. The tools I had to work with while in school weren't what was used in the real world.

Having all that obsolete technology hurt us for the future, rather than prepared us for the future.

Want to donate something to them, get them a new laser with a new computer with a new operating system. Otherwise, it'll be a tool that few use and bother to learn.

Just my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Bruce,

I don't feel a K12 is the way to go. As other have said the instructors have to be taught on how to use it and it's capabilities. If that one teacher leaves, then what?

Even with it's age, it's still VERY useful... in the right hands of course.

What I might suggest is finding some place that does robotics or other engineering type instruction. As a project, they could reverse engineer it, learn about it, and even upgrade it to the latest and greatest then use the laser for other classes/projects.

Or at least some place that has a NEED for a laser engraver (or replacement one) and will appreciate it's donation. What/who that is, I don't know.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4