Thread: Stand for printer etc.

Stand for printer etc.

I have already posted this at BT3Central so sorry if you have already seen it.
    I plan on using this stand as a printer desk, as most printers lately do not need any mysterious compartments for tractor feed paper or extensive computer connections. The top is about 22 inches deep by 28 inches wide. The wood (maple for the draw fronts and cherry for everything else) was all obtained from trees on my property downed in a windstorm two years ago and sawn on site. It is more or less my own design, with some copying or incorporation of design elements from other pieces I have seen. For instance, the legs are rounded on two sides so that the cross section looks like a rounded diamond shape - this is from Michael Fortune. The main cabinet section floats within the legs and is held in place by stretchers running front to back from the rails. They are hard to see when looking at the stand when standing so the cabinet appears to be floating. Likewise, the top is not attached to the legs but instead is attached to the top side of the stretchers holding up the cabninet at the top. The lattice sides do not touch the cabinet. Drawers are on standard full extension slides and consist of through dovetail sides and front/backs with false fronts of curly/wild maple. I did not know the maple would have such interesting figure until I planed it. The cherry was first coated with shellac and then I applied a gel stain called mission cherry by General Finishes. This was finished with precatalyzed lacquer. I have tried to provide enough pictures to show some of the structure, but they are not the best. This took about 40 hours with the help of a friend along the way. I contemplated some inlay or other decorative elements, but thought the wood was so pretty I couldn't improve on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Beautiful piece. And I love the unique design elements you incorporated into it.

That's really a lovely piece. Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful design and execution.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Nice design. Nice wood. Nice work.

I like the way the cabinet floats inside. It appears both traditional and contemporary at the same time. Very nice.

I'm looking forward to your next wind storm!

Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Lovely piece. I, too, like the floating cabinet inside.

Very nice in all aspects, design, wood, and finish and the important PROPORTIONS !!!

Good Job
    MARK

Blog Entries
    I like it. I agree about the inlay, many times I decide to leave well enough alone as some times more is just more.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Very nice job. Turned out much better than the printer stand I made as my first piece of furniture 5 or 6 years ago.

As he glances to the left at it and shakes his head...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Bartholomew View Post
    I have already posted this at BT3Central so sorry if you have already seen it.
    I plan on using this stand as a printer desk, as most printers lately do not need any mysterious compartments for tractor feed paper or extensive computer connections. The top is about 22 inches deep by 28 inches wide. The wood (maple for the draw fronts and cherry for everything else) was all obtained from trees on my property downed in a windstorm two years ago and sawn on site. It is more or less my own design, with some copying or incorporation of design elements from other pieces I have seen. For instance, the legs are rounded on two sides so that the cross section looks like a rounded diamond shape - this is from Michael Fortune. The main cabinet section floats within the legs and is held in place by stretchers running front to back from the rails. They are hard to see when looking at the stand when standing so the cabinet appears to be floating. Likewise, the top is not attached to the legs but instead is attached to the top side of the stretchers holding up the cabninet at the top. The lattice sides do not touch the cabinet. Drawers are on standard full extension slides and consist of through dovetail sides and front/backs with false fronts of curly/wild maple. I did not know the maple would have such interesting figure until I planed it. The cherry was first coated with shellac and then I applied a gel stain called mission cherry by General Finishes. This was finished with precatalyzed lacquer. I have tried to provide enough pictures to show some of the structure, but they are not the best. This took about 40 hours with the help of a friend along the way. I contemplated some inlay or other decorative elements, but thought the wood was so pretty I couldn't improve on it.
    This piece is just beautiful! I had to comment on the design as it is unique. My wife just loves it and just said that it could be my next project

Could you show a little more detail on the attachment of the drawers to the frame?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

That's really nice.

I'd hate putting my printer on it.

Great work Gene, thats a great design. Love every aspect of it.

More detail on support for the drawers

One reader asked for more detail on how the suspended box of drawers was held within the overall frame. Attached are two picturesd highlighting the basic stretchers from front to back and how they were cut to hold the box while remaining somewhat invisible from the front view.
    Attached Images Attached Images