Thread: Looking for the best woodworking books...

Looking for the best woodworking books...

Ok, I wrote this long post and somehow it got lost, here is my attempt to repeat it but I'm a bit frustrated now. -- I am in need of some knowledge on just about every aspect of woodworking. I don't want to waste my money on books full of the same old information I already know, so can you please recommend the best books on varying subjects. Please include milling and drying, uses and characteristics of different woods, furniture techniques, traditional furniture projects, workbenches, planes, neader methods of working, and finishing.

Thanks,
    Scott

Tage Frid's books are a decent place to start. No frills, but alot of practical stuff. Some of his tools are a little dated, but then who am I to judge? The neat thing is the mix of older techniques, work-arounds, and what to do when things don't go just right.

Greg

Scott, the latest issue of Fine Woodworking has a list of the top 25 books for woodworking. You may want to check it out, there were good descriptions of the books and authors.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Behrens
    Ok, I wrote this long post and somehow it got lost, here is my attempt to repeat it but I'm a bit frustrated now. -- I am in need of some knowledge on just about every aspect of woodworking. I don't want to waste my money on books full of the same old information I already know, so can you please recommend the best books on varying subjects. Please include milling and drying, uses and characteristics of different woods, furniture techniques, traditional furniture projects, workbenches, planes, neader methods of working, and finishing.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Happened to me plenty of times Scott. You didn't mention if you were interested in powertool books, but The Table Saw Book by Kelly Mehler is a popular one, never read it but my understanding is it's the most complete table saw book on the market. Also Taunton Press has a wide assortment of WW books if you check out there site. They get pretty good reviews on Amazon, for what thats worth.

By the way, Taunton Press is the publisher of FWW magazine so I'm betting a lot of their books are in that top 25. That said FWW is a fine woodworking magazine that you should also pick up if you're looking for reading material.
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 12-28-2004 at 11:29 PM.

Taunton press makes excellent books and you can get them from the library...

I'm currently on a "workbench" kick and have poured over books the last few months in hopes of building a quality one this winter/ spring...

The Workbench.......by Lon Schneiling (sp) is brand new and excellent.
    The Workbench Book....by Scott Landis (1990ish ? is also excellent. A little more history and a landmark issue.

I currently have them both checked out...it took 6 weeks to get the Lone Schneiling book it...but worth the wait.

Scott,

Let me recommend www.overstock.com for books. I don't have a connection with them, but have bought numerous woodworking books for the best possible price. Type in the search word Taunton, woodworking, or wood smith and you will get a bunch.