Thread: Six Dollar Stinger Dust Foot Mod.

Six Dollar Stinger Dust Foot Mod.

I purchased this anodized aluminum cam action hold down at WoodCraft the other day. It seemed to be perfect for my Stinger dust foot adjustment, something a bit easier and much faster to adjust then the stock bolt and wing nut.

The bolt is 5/16" so I had to drill the 1/4" hole to fit, other than that I used a two and a quarter inch long carriage bolt so the square head would grip the plastic and prevent the bolt from turning. Adjusting the tightness of the grip is easy, just turn the carriage bolt a quarter turn at a time to get the fit just right.

The WoodCraft item number is 146630
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-14-2010 at 9:06 PM.

Great idea Keith. Actually mine's adjusted just right so that I can just slide it up and down and it stays wherever I put. Not as elegant as your solution though....
    O'Brien Truckers Automotive Aluminum Sand Castings
    Stinger SN 001
    Corel X5, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D

Good idea, I just used a wing nut but the head of the bolt also turns, so I have to use a wrench to hold the head.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

oh i like that!!

I was using a wrench as well but it was a pain so I was thinking of replacing the wing nut with a knob. When I saw the cam hold down I figured it would be a much better solution.

Now I need to machine a Corian holder for my Z block so it can hang on the end of my table.

Keith that is a very Ingenious idea... Really love to see how peoples think out of the box but i remember Guy Mathew great Quotation " Thinking out of the box is one thing..."

Yikes....a Camaster mod outside the "Factory"

Well done.

Blog Entries
    AAAA++++ Idea!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Khalid,

I live outside the box most days

I know that this is a very simple modification but it sure makes raising and lowering the dust foot easy. For several years I have had to work under the ShopBot dust foot to change router bits because it is just too much of a pain to raise and lower the dang thing. I tend to leave it where it is and only adjust it when I have to.