Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend wants a V-carving of USC logo

Friend wants a V-carving of USC logo

A friend wants me to create a v-carving of the gamecock logo. I'm manually creating the vectors right now, and it might take a while.

In order to keep design time down, it would be nice if I had a program that would create vectors from BMP file.

It also occurs to me that some of you may already have a DXF...
    Any "givers" out there?

....OR suggestions on how to create the vectors more quickly... I'm working with ArtCAM so importing quite a few formats is easy...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

artcam can do that.. 'convert bmp to vector'.

Hmmm.. well I've tried it before, and the results were a bit messy. Perhaps 2010 has gotten better?

I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happened.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

i have them!! aspire has bitmap to vector function

Jim,

Did you try to find the logo at any of the logo web sites like brands of the world?

I did one for my son-in-law a few months ago. I think I pulled the logo from the Univ South Carolina web site. I used VCarvePro - tried to upload the file here, but it is not an allowed format. I'll see if your email address is on your website - if so, I'll try to send it to you.
    Angie
    Last edited by Angie Orfanedes; 11-14-2010 at 7:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    A friend wants me to create a v-carving of the gamecock logo. I'm manually creating the vectors right now, and it might take a while.

In order to keep design time down, it would be nice if I had a program that would create vectors from BMP file.

It also occurs to me that some of you may already have a DXF...
    Any "givers" out there?

....OR suggestions on how to create the vectors more quickly... I'm working with ArtCAM so importing quite a few formats is easy...
    ...well if you were a dawg fan i have what u need...

go dawgs!

sorry jim/james

Gene, who said I'm a USC fan?

I practically live in the Bulldogs backyard, so I suppose defacto, I'm a UGA fan... although I have to admit my wife is much more apt to turn on the game than I am- not to mention she's a graduate.....(and I'm not.) But I'm just not that into watching guys chase a ball around the field... (Isn't that what dogs do? Fetch Boy! )

Seriously here's the result of ArtCAM's conversion utility- problematic at best. I'm much better off creating my own vectors than trying to clean up and modify that mess of nodes and disconnected loops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 11-14-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

James and Angie,
    Please do send me anything you've got via the email section of my profile. I've downloaded the logo off of a Google image search and I'm tediously applying vectors manually...

Keith, I did a search on the website you mention but NADA on that USC gamecock logo..
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

there should be a function in artcam to reduce the amount of colors in a bitmap. do that first, either in artcam or photoshop. Typically you should be able to make it 2 color, black and white which will help.. usually you can adjust the threshold between where black becomes white.. that way you can do the bmp->vector a couple times to isolate out different areas very precisely.

the usc logo is held tightly by the univ of sc. we recently provided the millwork for the renovation of the williams brice stadium and had to find a licensed (by usc) company to provide the block "C" logos

send me an email address, it is pretty easy in aspire
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 11-15-2010 at 1:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    the usc logo is held tightly by the univ of sc. we recently provided the millwork for the renovation of the williams brice stadium and had to find a licensed (by usc) company to provide the block "C" logos
    James,
    That's pretty standard for any collegiate logo... Have you ever considered getting a collegiate license? We are working on getting a logo product licensed for UGA... You have to jump through a lot of hoops...
    You can always email me through my profile page. I hate to stick an email out here, because the 'bots pick it right up, and then you're inundated with spam...

Oh wait, I can do it this way.. send it to: jimunder at colemancabinets dot com.

Eric, thanks for another tip. I'll reduce the number of colors on this and see if it's any better. Even if it does a better outline, I'll still have a zillion nodes to clean up... Any tips on how to clear that up?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

we have two camaster owners who have the license here in columbia, i got enough on my plate!!

sending file

You can have too much to do? Usually that only happens with my personal projects..

Hey Eric, reducing the number of colors worked pretty well. I ran it down to three colors in steps using artcams reduce color function, then turned the pixel tolerance to three pixels in the bmp to vector function... I still have the zillion node problem though...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Whoof. I got a pretty good vectors on my last try, but it still needs refinement. I'm about 3 hours into this, and I still have a ways to go.
    I made the spacing between nodes about 40 pixels, and it sure did clean up a lot of excessive points... I should play with some extreme values to see how the various settings affect it.
    I have the outline, the feet, the head, ane one wing cleaned up and ready. Gotta keep moving. I hope to cut this tomorrow... Got the CNC sitting idle until a designer puts a job in the shop.

Eric if you have any more good tips about cleaning up ArtCAMs vectors, I'm all ears.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain