Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movers for a truck

Movers for a truck

I am planning to give my track to my son. Only problem - I am in Va and he is in CA.
    I did search net and got a few very close estimates for open mover platform, door to door service, insurance included.
    Did anybody use this kind of service before? Please I would appreciate any advice what what to ask mover, how to choose right company.
    Another questions - my truck is paid off, and what will be the best way give it to the son. Just sell it with like a few dollars price? Or just give it away. I am concern legal way to title it to him, and cheapest one for him and me.

Thank you,

Ed.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the moving but you used to be able to give $20K gift per year to your adult children with no tax impact to them. Don't know if that has changed. Maybe a tax expert will chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I am planning to give my track to my son. Only problem - I am in Va and he is in CA.
    I did search net and got a few very close estimates for open mover platform, door to door service, insurance included.
    Did anybody use this kind of service before? Please I would appreciate any advice what what to ask mover, how to choose right company.
    Another questions - my truck is paid off, and what will be the best way give it to the son. Just sell it with like a few dollars price? Or just give it away. I am concern legal way to title it to him, and cheapest one for him and me.

Thank you,

Ed.
    Be very sure it will pass Ca. smog. You might want to send a blank check to cover the fees out here
    I am talking out of sight registration fees.

Thank you for remind me about smog check. For sure it will pass, it is 2006 Toyota Tundra with 26000 miles only.
    I will investigate about $20K gift, thanks.

Ed.

I assume it varies state to state, but in MI you don't have to pay tax when buying a vehicle from a family member. Or at least you didn't last time I was involved in such a sale. You can sell it to him for whatever you want but how CA taxes him will be up to them.

On transport, my dad used I believe United Van Lines a couple times. This was back around 1990, but it was actually quite reasonable--I want to say a few hundred bucks from South Dakota to MI and Memphis to MI. I'm sure its gone up considerably since. They move them in an enclosed, purpose-built hauler.

In Indiana there would be no sales tax if it is a gift. I have no idea how other states might do it. Check it out. Transfer could be less expensive in one of the 2 states involved.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Ed - I can't speak for the moving part....might mean a bunch of phone calls on your part to find the best way to get it there.

On the transfer.....we gave an old truck to a friend many years ago. We transferred it with a legit bill of sale for $1, and all was good. He used that to get a new title and register it.

I think he still owes us the buck.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

California annual vehicle registration is 1-1/3% of value.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    California annual vehicle registration is 1-1/3% of value.
    Brian,
    How about the fee to register from out of state? They used to really nail us on that one.
    We can though gift family without a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    Brian,
    How about the fee to register from out of state? They used to really nail us on that one.
    We can though gift family without a fee.
    They seem to have eased up on the "import" tax. In the early 90s the costs were crazy to bring a car in that didn't have the CA-specific anti-smog parts. Last I heard, they are not doing that anymore. I do believe the registration fee is based on book price and not sales price, so selling it for a dollar probably wouldn't be any benefit.

I sold several vehicles when I lived in California, I would sell the vehicles for my asking price and make out a receipt for the amount that the buyer wanted me to put on the receipt. The registration cost at the time was based on the price that was on the receipt or the minimum cost based on the vehicle's age and type.
    David B

Thank you very much for info. Now I need to call my dealer here to clarify difference for emission test at here and CA.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Thank you very much for info. Now I need to call my dealer here to clarify difference for emission test at here and CA.

Ed.
    I have been told most newer vehicles will pass Ca. standards regardless of where sold. It does though depend on where in this nuthouse you live.
    My county has no smog requirement after sale butt the bay area and down south in the urban areas is every year.

The only smog I have floats up here from the valley.

My friend just did a move with an on line mover. Scam alert! Stay with the big guys and except for a small down payment, no money until the truck is delivered. Plenty of info out there, just do your research.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Adams View Post
    My friend just did a move with an on line mover. Scam alert! Stay with the big guys and except for a small down payment, no money until the truck is delivered. Plenty of info out there, just do your research.

Kerry
    +1 A few years ago one of my daughters had a nightmare of a move with one of the smaller local independents. She was moving from TN to Wisconsin. We later found that the company subbed most of the stuff out. The subs didn't show on moving day, then after they finally got her stuff to Wisconsin they wouldn't take her stuff off the truck until she paid an additional amount of about $200 as I recall. On top of that a couple of things were broken, which they claimed we broke in packing (including a nice antique lamp). I later found that her situation wasn't at all unusual in the moving industry.