Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So "Who do they play?".......

So "Who do they play?".......

Did you notice there was no thread challenging Boise State's ranking in the polls and their credibility last week with the worn out question "So who do they play?".....

Of course, last week Georgia played Idaho State? .....be glad it wasn't the other "State" team from Idaho..(BSU)..

And Auburn played Chattanooga?..............

So who do they play?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Take it from someone who went to a school who won championships as an independent and later went to a major conference..

.. things wouldn't be so rosy if boise state had to play tougher teams each week.

They don't have a claim to anything above and beyond what TCU, Auburn and Oregon have done. If they want a claim, they need to get out of the WAC. They can't expect that SEC and other major conference teams are going to schedule them AND then go face their respective conferences while BSU goes back to play a bunch of patsies.

The system is working the way it's supposed to work. There ought to be a playoff with the top four teams, but there isn't yet. Until then, it would be well beyond unfair to take the opportunity away from auburn and oregon when they've done more than BSU has done.

(Besides, Auburn probably had to pay money to get their quarterback...they need the ROI!!)

Uh, Ken, I thought you weren't a Boise State fan.....

According to the Sagarin rankings, BSU's strength of schedule is ranked 72nd.....so, yeah, who do they play?

Of course, most of the ESS EEE CEE (play-for-pay) teams have higher rankings because of their "tough" conference schedules. Almost every major conference team schedules one tough non-conference game and the rest are cupcakes (because of that conference schedule). The majority of BSU's schedule are cupcakes.

I think you're better off sticking to the "No one wants to play us" theme......
    Last edited by Bob Turkovich; 11-12-2010 at 2:47 PM.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Bob,

I did drive by Boise State's field one time while in Boise but it was by accident.

And David when they have played these "more difficult...larger schools" in Bowl games in recent years they are 3 for 4. 75% bowl success rate is better than most of these so called tough teams.

I say Hogwash...... Just because a team plays in a difficult conference doesn't mean the best college football team is in that conference.

And Bob.....check the BCS rankings......the Harris Poll......The Coaches poll and the AP poll.......... there some numbers for you....

Come on whiners.....bring out your excuses....not reasons..excuses.......

Up next....let's hear it...

"Any team can get it up for one game".....come on let's hear it....whine some more.......create an excuse...
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-12-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    ......... They can't expect that SEC and other major conference teams are going to schedule them AND then go face their respective conferences while BSU goes back to play a bunch of patsies..........There ought to be a playoff with the top four teams, but there isn't yet..........
    Ken -

It's money. Under the current "championship" system, the AQ conferences have no incentive to schedule games with BSU or TCU or whomever. No money [for the AQ team anyway] in a home + home series, with a game played in Boise. No current AQ conference would invite BSU to join their conference for that reason alone. No interest in legitimizing BSU's claims. No interest in running the risk of a loss - and David does have a point in that regard - Yes, the Auburn Tigers played Chatannoga. Last week. Without looking, I'm going to hazard a guess that the Broncos played a weenie or two along the way somehwere.

The rest of Auburn's schedule includes Miss State, Steve Superior, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, Alabama - and then the conference title game. Why schedule an additional out-of-conference potential killer game when you already have to face murderer's row? There's simply no incentive - a no-win situation. Wouldn't help Auburn in the slightest - would only help BSU.

The system sucks, but as long as its the system, will never ever happen. Altruism ain't in it, dude.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It may not be, who could tell? there really isn't a good way to tell without a playoff.

but you don't give the team with a weak schedule a chance over a team who has done the same thing with a tough schedule. That doesn't make any sense at all.

thus far this year, both teams that BSU beat that looked like they might be something (Va tech and oregon state) have turned out to be nothing teams.

VA tech is ranked, but they lost to BSU and James madison, and the rest of their schedule is patsies. James madison isn't even division 1, and they've got a losing record this season. Oregon state has lost 4 games.

TCU just put it to utah, was that last week? I would love to see a TCU/BSU game. I think Auburn is going to lose before the end of the year. I don't think oregon will, though.

As an outsider, I don't think BSU could hang with TCU.

It stung penn state plenty of times in the past, especially in the late 60s and early 70s. That's just the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bob,

I did drive by Boise State's field one time while in Boise but it was by accident.

And David when they have played these "more difficult...larger schools" in Bowl games in recent years they are 3 for 4. 75% bowl success rate is better than most of these so called tough teams.

I say Hogwash...... Just because a team plays in a difficult conference doesn't mean the best college football team is in that conference.

And Bob.....check the BCS rankings......the Harris Poll......The Coaches poll and the AP poll.......... there some numbers for you....

Common whiners.....bring out your excuses....not reasons..excuses.......

Up next....let's hear it...

"Any team can get it up for one game".....common let's hear it....whine some more.......create an excuse...

Whoa, Ken. You titled this thread "So, Who do they play" not "Who's the better team". My response addressed what I thought was your original premise.

Look at BSU's schedule. Outside of VT and possibly OSU (not that tOSU), who on their schedule could give any of the other top 25 teams any realistic challenge. (BTW - while you're noting ranking systems, the Sagarin strength of schedule rating I mentioned is part of the BCS formula.)

Almost every other major team plays 4 or 5 teams that, on a given day, they could possibly lose to. Until there is a true playoff system (which I'm not in favor of - I preferred the pre-BCS system) the non-major conference teams run the risk of missing the big dance.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

I think it is a catch-22. If either BSU or TCU win out and play in the National Championship, then they give the BCS the right to say 'Hey the system works, and BSU/TCU got their shot', whereas if they are passed over, they may lose a chance at a national championship this year, but probably increase the chances of a +1 in future years. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

That being said, if Oregon/Auburn play in the national championship, I hope the BCS doesn't pull the same crud and make BSU/TCU play each other.

Stick each of them against a BCS conference team, BSU vs Bama, and maybe TCU vs LSU/Big 12 champion.

Though I doubt both Bama would get in a BCS bowl if Auburn is in the championship, given that LSU is ranked higher than Alabama at the moment. But put TCU/BSU against some big names where if they win then they have every right to make any claim they want, but for the love of all the is good, don't make them play each other again and relegate them to the second page. If they want to make a name for themselves, give them the chance.

EDIT: All of that being said, I don't think a 1 loss team should get in over an undefeated team, regardless of Strength of schedule. If your BCS supporting argument is that every game is a playoff, and a 1 loss team gets in over an undefeated BSU/TCU, then you defeat your own argument.
    Last edited by alex grams; 11-12-2010 at 4:36 PM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

But Bob.....the argument everybody has been beating up BSU fans with..is ""They aren't that good and their record means nothing ...they shouldn't be so highly ranked......... because..."who do they play?".""
    Ken

What I like about college football is the immense part player and team emotions can play in a game.......that unpredictable feature.....

I stated very early on last year and again this year.

On any given day any college football team can beat another because of the part emotions CAN play in that game. The severely beaten can quickly become the victor because of those emotions.

I am not a Boise State fan. If I was, I could drive 30 miles north to watch them play the University of Idaho in the Kibbly Dome this evening.

Boise is 260 scenic 2 lane highway, mountains and rivers edge miles south and it takes over 6 hours to drive it at legal speeds.

I believe a team can play a tough schedule, win most and still not be the best team in the nation. I don't believe a teams schedule is an indication of the teams ability pro or con. Just because a team plays a weak schedule doesn't mean they are a lessor or greater team.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-12-2010 at 5:10 PM.
    Ken

Bob, I am curious as to why you support the pre-BCS system? It may be nostalgic, but I have to at least agree the BCS is an improvement over its predecessor. In the pre BCS sysytem you could have two undefeated teams at the end of the season and they would each play a non-undefeated team, not each other.

I second Ken's above statement. Schedule is not a reflection of talent, but no amount of debate can decide what should be decided on the field.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Another thing I love about college football is the rivalry games......thinking back to those games.........the highly ranked big team comes to play the outranked "lessor" team and gets stomped. On that day, the outranked team was better.....otherwise why'd they win? The other team beat themselves? Well...maybe but I'd suggest the underdogs got their emotions into the game and used it to their advantage....caught the big dog off guard....and beat them.

I recently started emailing a friend from high school whom I hadn't seen is August of 1967. He is now a professional gambler but only bets on professional football. In an email I told him that I had this great love of college football and I wondered if he'd placed bets on it. He said he only bet on pro football and he had friends who professionally bet on college ball but generally they stayed with betting on a given conference. He agreed college ball could be a little unpredictable.

And that is what I like about it. Young athletes with wild adrenalin rushes!

Disclaimer: I am not a Boise State Fan. I have never attended one of their games. I do not know their fight song or if they even have one. I did drive by their field one day by accident. I apologize. I was lost. I do not own a BSU sweatshirt, t-shirt, ball cap, or beanie. I have no intentions of purchasing one. I am not a Boise State fan.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not a Boise State Fan. I have never attended one of their games. I do not know their fight song or if they even have one. I did drive by their field one day by accident. I apologize. I was lost. I do not own a BSU sweatshirt, t-shirt, ball cap, or beanie. I have no intentions of purchasing one. I am not a Boise State fan.
    Methinks you doth protest too much.

I keep reading that you are not a Boise State fan -- in posts about Boise State. I have read your opinions about college football, and yet, several of those posts go on about Boise State. And with this current thread, you seem to be making the challenge regarding "Who they play?" and throwing the gauntlet down because no one is speaking up about the ranking.

Okay -- I get it -- you're not a fan. But you have to admit -- you are their advocate.

I won't defend the BCS or rankings. To be honest, I really cannot get worked up about these things. I enjoy watching Michigan and Cal because I went to both schools, and it is a connection I have to them. How it is decided which is best? Meh. I won't back a playoff system either because I am a professor, and while they may be Division I, those athletes (no matter the sport) are students. Having playoffs at the end of the semester is a bad thing. My school is Division III, but it drives me and my student-atheletes crazy at the end of the semester when they are being pulled away from classes by NCAA championships.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I use them only as an example of why some of the current arguments pro and con BCS and the previously used methods have serious holes in them.

On any given day, any college team could beat another as a result of emotions.

Neither the old method of selection nor the BCS is actually capable of producing an undisputed champion......and neither method is completely fair.

I also believe the argument that playing a tough schedule and winning a majority or even all of the games doesn't mean a particular team is the best in college football. The team might be good...might be tough but still not the best team.

Even if there was a national playoff, there are people who would argue when "their" team lost, that a single game couldn't or shouldn't decide a championship.

I really don't have a favorite team. I have never attended a college football game. I did see two college fields....one in Boulder, CO.....and one in Michigan but I forget which one M or MS?
    Ken